Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Something close to nada

I am having trouble with animals lately.

Pigeons: I am having a problem with pigeons. Lot's of pigeons. They have taken to hanging out by my back stairs. You can not imagine the amount of pigeon poop outside the back door every single day. It has gotten so bad that some days I think I am better off hurling my self in the air and not actually stepping on the stairs to avoid the pigeon poop. I have tried all sorts of things to be rid of them. I bought a big ugly plastic owl, hung him in a most menacing way and the pigeons basically laughed at the owl and of course by default me. That damn owl cost me $30.00 now he is just an annoyance to my cat. I tried tying black trash bags to the stairs because someone told me the movement and the noise would scare them off. Not! (OK maybe for one day there were less pigeons around) I then resorted to less humane ways. I put down some sticky gooey stuff. This miracle pigeon repellent would make the pigeons little feet stick to the steps (no, not permanently) just long enough to make them hate me and their sad little lives and fly off to someone else's house. This gooey stuff cost $120.00. The pigeons stepped in the goo, pulled their little feet out and then laughed hysterically as lizards got caught in the goo and died a slow death. I love lizards, I hate pigeons so I power washed all the goo away. Last month I am sad to say I resorted to poison ... yes my little huckleberries, my name is EsLocura and I am a pigeon killer. In my defense I must tell you that there is/was tons of pigeon poop on my stairs and it smells, it smells real bad, I was desperate. The poison killed 2 pigeons and the survivors went out and got back up pigeons to fill in the gaps. I bought a pellet gun, not to kill but to scare. The pigeons mocked me. They were afraid the first 2-3 times now they just turn around and stare at me. I think the pigeons are winning.

Dogs: The neighbors dog is driving me nuts. His bark ( I use that term loosely) is a high pitched, cause a noise bleed sort of bark. And he barks constantly. Day and night. It doesn't help that his owners are complete idiots (idiots being the kindest word I can use).The poor dog is tied to a fence with a 4ft leash. Most days he doesn't have water and I don't think he eats too well or too often. I have spoken to the neighbors, asked if they could perhaps move the dog to someplace where I can not hear him. I have offered to buy the dog, find it a good home. I give it water when I know they are not home and food when I can but that fucking barking gives me a pounding headache. And the fucking neighbors just don't care. Yesterday was the last straw, after almost 4 hours of nonstop barking, I went outside determine to tell my neighbors that I was contacting animal control. No one was home so I just set the dog free. Yes, I untied him and let him go. Of course who should come home but the neighbors, who quickly tied the poor dog back up. He's barking as I type!

Cats: I love my cat, he isn't the problem. There is a stray cat who is a problem. This stray showed up as many strays have and I fed him. (big mistake) Next day he was back with a friend. I fed them both. (mistake) This continued for about a month. Then one stray disappeared and the other stray decided that he felt so at home, he was going to come upstairs to my house. (mistake on the cat's part) My cat hangs out on the balcony, the stray tried to steal my cats food, a fight ensued, I run outside, scared the stray away. This lovely scenario has played out for a week. I am now no longer feeding the stray and taking the water hose to it when ever I spot him near my house. I haven't wet him, just scared him. But he just keeps coming back annoying my cat and pissing me off. I am now thinking I need to catch the stray and take him for a scenic long drive to the next town. ( I would of course feed him first)

Roosters: There are too many cocks on the farm. And too many cocks means plenty of fighting. All my chickens are free range, no coops for them except for the sick hens or injured roosters. Roosters like most males of any species are territorial and don't like having competition for the hens attention. Roosters fight to the death. It gets very bloody. Nothing puts a damper on my day like coming across an injured bloody or dead rooster. This problem was solved (for now) by my cousin Jose. Jose came over and caught 6 roosters to lessen the cock population. He used one rooster with a string tied around one leg, to lure other roosters into his trap. There are now only 4 roosters and about 30 hens. Better odds, happier roosters, less fighting.So what's a girl to do? I don't mistreat animals. (I've made peace with the 2 dead pigeons) I don't want to mean and angry. I don't want to become Eslocura the murderer, I so much prefer the Queen title but I am getting desperate. Got any ideas on solutions to my animal conundrums?

16 comments:

NoRegrets said...

Oh please please call animal control on the neighbors. Please. That poor dog - I'd bark all day too.

Why doesn't your cat earn his keep and chase away the pigeons?

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of pouring a pound of Hershey's kisses into the food bowl of my neighbor's dog. I do not feel at all evil. The neighbor has been forewarned many times.

Unknown said...

EsLoDolittle - You could call animal control and ask them what you should do about the pigeons or your local Humane Society. I'm sorry that I don't have naything for you but the giggles, trust you to take major annoyance and turn it into comedy. I'm sending good thoughts your way, if that's any help at all...

Susan said...

I'm sorry..I saw the word "cocks" and started giggling. Let me forward you all the cold meds I took and maybe you'll be in my state of mind.

Amadeo said...

Put out seed for the birds with a dash of Cayenne. Or is that cruel?

123Valerie said...

Madame E,

You need to check out what these animals are trying to tell you: http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems/dictionary_of_birds.htm

123Valerie said...

http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems/dictionary_of_birds.htm

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I've got no better suggestions than others have given.

Just want to let you know that I've tagged you for a meme;>

Unknown said...

First ma, sorry we missed each other. Turns out we don't live far - Caguas to Aguas Buenas is apparently next door. As for the dogs - my parent's neighbor has dogs too and it's the same fuckin' problem. They weren't there during my last visit and I couldn't believe how these two little bastards barked ALL day and all night. Finally, I told my mom that if I move out there I will give her neighbor one chance to get rid of the dogs or find them dead upon his return from work. I love animals, but I don't believe in having anything around that is annoying, damages property or is a general nuisance. Thankfully, my mom's kitty and dog are so quiet, happy, friendly and fun I enjoyed them the whole time. I was scared a few times to find visiting strays as well, but I don't play that I chased them down with brooms...I'm not as kind as you. In the end, if the owners aren't responsible, handle your business.

lyre said...

CAll PETA to come and get them all!

Tera said...

Maybe you should begin hurling the pigeons at the dog until you're lucky enough to get one lodged in his throat???

Anonymous said...

Yeah - the rabid folks at PETA will come running and the idiot neighbors will be punished.

Hopefully they'll help with you pigeon problem too.

Kofi said...

I'm afraid I went where Susan went, as far as the rooster dilemma goes.

I've heard NYC is thinking about putting birth control in the pigeon food to cause a natural die off... but I don't know if you'd be willing to wait. I also don't know how one goes about getting the prescription from the pigeon's ob/gyn, how much the out-of-pocket costs are, or if their insurance plan covers birth control in the first place.

heather said...

just thought i'd let you know that this post of yours somehow managed to invade my dreams last night.

i was walking around what i assume was pr with cheeks and we saw a man chained to his porch with a 4ft chain. cheeks asked why he was making so much noise. my response? don't worry honey, that's just the queen's annoying neighbor. he was a bad dog owner. now his dog is a bad person owner.


i think i need therapy. :-)

EsLocura said...

Nore, because my cat is a pussy.

Fringes, one of the many reasons you are my hero.

wng, good thoughts always help, am sending pigeon poop your way : )

Susan, yep, cocks is pretty funny.

amadeo, cruel but fair, Happy Birthday!

uno, dos, tres, is it bad karma to kill your totem animal?

woowoo, will get to that meme asap.

cocoa, I can't believe you were that close and didn't call, carajo!

lyre, yeah, I'm gonna get them all, yes I will, damn it.

Tera, lol you are too funny

Jali, could PETA ever be a good thing?

Kofi, damn I don't know if I can wait that long.

Heather, my work is done, I've entered your dreams.

heather said...

oh hell, in that case your work was done a while ago. my dreams include various conversations with the odd blogger here and there all of the time.
the need therapy comment came from the content of this particular dream. lol

 
Google Analytics Alternative