Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Scent

As the end of the year draws near, it seems we are surrounded by a plethora of smells. All the holiday cooking smells that bring about warm and fuzzy feelings for most people. I remember the smell of winter back on the east coast, pine trees and pine cones, or maybe it was just a Yankee candle but still I love the fresh smell of pine. Hot chocolate on on snowy night, yum. The smell of that thanksgiving turkey. Cinnamon reminds me of hot apple cider. How about the scent of bread baking or perhaps even cookies? Holiday food smells conjure up many memories.

Of course there are many foul smells in the world but lets not get into those, let's focus on the sweet smells, the smells that remind you of something or someone special. I do believe our sense of smell is essential to our humanity, social interactions, survival, and relationships.

The scent of your lover as you nuzzle his neck, complete sweetness that reminds you how lucky you are. The scent of fresh coffee first thing in the morning, it's a new day. The scent of roast pork in the oven always reminds that I am home. Clothes that were dried outside, I love that clean fresh scent. Aramis cologne always reminds me of my dad. The scent of roses or rose oil as well as lavender reminds me of Yolanda (aka Yogi), a spirited soul who I have been blessed to be friends with. Frying cheese and bacon reminds me of the comadres, and the love we share.

Yes, my little huckleberries this time of year is filled with scents that evoke some sort of emotion or memory. What scents give you that warm and fuzzy feeling, or remind you of a person or moment from the past?

14 comments:

Kofi said...

I always associate the smell of pine trees with Christmas time. I suppose it brings back memories of getting trees Dad should have known were too big for the living room. As well as the wreaths. And the dead pine needles that seemed to take forever to clean up before, during, and after the Christmas holiday.

Anonymous said...

Polo cologne, the scent of my first highschool boyfriend will forever remind me of that first blush of love and groping.

Unknown said...

Middle sister G will be in PR for the holiday. So if you smell some Chanel No5 and hear a tinkling laugh coming out of a tall creamy-coffee colored woman, say hi for me and don't try to feed her (she'll never leave).

Rose oil remind me of my namesake, my paternal grandmother, whom I have never met but am supposed to resemble in both temperment and looks. She grew roses and make her own perfume during the Depression and during the worst times in my life I have smelled rose oil in the night and felt a sense of peace. It might be just my mind, but I like to think that it's her.

Unknown said...

SORRY about all the spelling/grammatical errors up there!

Susan said...

Old Spice reminds me of my grandfather(pop). Oil of Olay lotion reminds me of my grandmother(nanny).

Joop cologne reminds me of a forbidden love affair and always makes me smile.

The smell of vanilla reminds me of a younger Susan who would slather on the scent. It almost makes me ill but I can't help but giggle. It'll always remind me of a sort of youth and innocence I'll never achieve again.

Amadeo said...

I associate Ralph Tresvants song "Sensitivty" with fried Chicken.

Seeing your NaBloPoMo efforts makes me feel bad for not posting more...not so much bad as...lazy.

EsLocura said...

Kofi, yes, pine=Christmas and my grandmother's favorite cleaning aid (pinesol)

Franki, ahhh the groping of yesteryear.

Wng, damn you should have told me about sis visiting, we could have a drink or 2. and don't worry no points off for bad spelling.

Susan, I can almost picture you slathered in vanilla, makes me giggle too.

Amadeo, don't feel bad about NaBloPomo, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Some of my posts border on crap but I've posted almost every day. (minus the 6 days with out internet service, I mean when I was kidnapped)

NoRegrets said...

The first lighting of a cigar (which I like better than all the rest of a cigar) reminds me of my dad, who smoked but never inside. When he died all of us stood outside on the early spring afternoon and finished off his box of (cheap) cigars. Neighbors told us later they smelled the smoke and thought of my dad. It's a photo of this moment that I have in my office on my desk.

Unknown said...

Es- I didn't know until today! But I get to stay in her house (the mansion) while she's away, so I'm pretty pupmed. Wanna' come hang out?

Bohemia6 said...

Wonderful post!!

Grey Flannel always reminds me of my father and the Alcoholado 70 reminds me of grandma's comforting rub to relieve fevers

heather said...

dakkar = j when we first started dating. (he no longer cares for it and can't figure out why i still love it. what a lunk head :-))

old spice = a fave since childhood

cinnamon, cloves and orange = mom always had some simmering away, on the stove or in a crockpot. i do the same thing now.

i too was a vanilla junkie (vanilla fields anyone?) and raspberry...

the best smell ever though? cheeks as a newborn. i can still smell it.

EsLocura said...

Nore, that is a very sweet memory.

wng, love to come over but am afraid the airfare cost would kill me.

Bohemia, alcoholado 70 is still one of my favorite grandma smells.

heather, awww sweet cheeks. : )

Anonymous said...

Can't remember the name but it's a small square bottle of Avon liquid deodorant-every time I smell it, it reminds me of my mom-always there with open arms-we miss her a great deal.

EsLocura said...

spunky, I am sure she is close by in "spirit" : )

 
Google Analytics Alternative