Thursday, November 08, 2007

Food Ramblings

Let's talk about food. I love good food. Some people may even claim that I am a bit of a food snob. And perhaps they are right, but I like to think I am just more opinionated about food then some people. I have been lucky enough to have lived in some awesome food cities, namely New York and Boston and of course Puerto Rico.

I will try almost any kind of food once, twice if I am unsure. I love most vegetables and almost all fruits. I don't care for red meat much but I can eat fish everyday. I've taken a few cooking classes. I've learned to make Sushi, Sicilian specialties, and vegetarian meals. I am not so good at making deserts except for a killer New York style cheesecake.

I do think that fresh ingredients are always best. I do think there is a big difference between expensive olive oil and cheap olive oil. I feel the same way about balsamic vinegar. I do think the more "natural" the better. I am not a fan of processed foods, or fast food.

I am not able to get somethings here but luckily friends and family are always willing to ship things to me. My cousin Tony supplies me with Italian cold cuts, and my cousin Olga has made sure I don't run out of Orzo and acini de pepe. (for my chicken soup)

I love bread and I am rather fond of crackers so all those diets that claim I should not have bread can kiss my butt. I don't care for anything peanut butter flavored but I do like peanut butter. I love jelly bellies. I love cheap chocolate bars (twix bars are my favorite) but I don't like chocolate deserts. I love flan and creme brulee.

I enjoy going to nice restaurants and ordering appetizers. I love pizza. I love salads. (along with a nice glass of wine, red, I don't care much for white.) I've eaten alligator, rattlesnake and crickets. I've tired parts of animals that should be thrown away. (sometimes that "when in Rome" thing doesn't work in your favor)

I love rice and potatoes. I don't like turnips or parsnips. I love a good Barbecue, grilling is another of my cooking skills. I can also fillet fish like a pro. I am allergic to scallops but eat all other shellfish. I love octopus and squid especially grilled or in a salad. Roast Pork ala Puerto Rican is to die for.

I love eggs Benedict, and real maple syrup, but not together. I once ate my way through New Orleans and drank bloody Mary's served with a plethora of garnishes. I don't buy any fruit in supermarkets except for apples because nothing tastes as good as what I grow, sadly I don't grow apples.

I'm done rambling for now, I've got chickens to feed, tangerines and grapefruit to pick, talk among yourselves ...


10 comments:

Tera said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Es, me too!!! I love food and am willing to try almost anything at least once! I think if seafood is what I had to live off of for a choice of meat, I would be perfectly fine with that!

This is my kind of post! :)

NoRegrets said...

Now I'm hungry. And it reminds me it's grapefruit season coming up - my mouth is watering just thinking of that. And I'm a snob when it comes to maple syrup - I won't order pancakes or any such breakfast item out unless I know I'll get real maple syrup. Do you make tamales? My friend from PR (college roommate) used to bring home made ones back which was great. I've never tried making them.

jali said...

Man. I'd love to pick tangerines. they're my favorite citris fruit.

I love so many foods - my favorite: my mashed potatoes. My second - leftover spaghetti with extra parmesan. Mmmmm.

My cheap chocolate bar: Cadbury Milk. Love it.

I like twix because of the old commercial: "two for me none for you".

It's time for lunch.

Unknown said...

It's ok - I like turnips and parsnips enough for both of us. I have a winter veggie soup recipe that I'll never be able to send you now... I'm with you on everything but the crickets, my brain just won't let me go there. Maybe it comes from spending my early childhood with foodie parents in NY and/or from having a multi-ethnic family but food (growing, cooking, eating it) is a huge part of my life. Hmmm...now I'm hungry...

Unknown said...

I agree about the olive oil. We went to an olive orchard recently and learned a lot about it. We got some really good fresh-as-you-can-eat-it olive oil. Yummmm.

Susan said...

Ohhhh man I want some maple syrup...

heather said...

wng, i'll take that recipe. :-) i make a turkey meatball soup with kale, turnips, onions, etc in the fall and winter months. i'm the only one who will eat it though. lol

fresh food is wonderful. and better for you. i wish it was more economical to purchase as well. i'm willing to bet that if it were the health of the nation would improve.

Em said...

I love trying new foods...love going to restaurants...and wish I was a better cook!

Unknown said...

Are you ok Es? You missed a day, so I just wanted to check.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I wish I could grow my own fruit. Even strawberries are not too fond of the San Francisco chilliness. There is a huge apple tree and several orange, lemon and fig trees next door, but sadly, there is also a very tall fence.

I have never eaten alligator, rattlesnake or cricket, to my knowledge, and hope to keep it that way.

 
Google Analytics Alternative