Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Discovery

The word Jibaro is commonly used in Puerto Rico to refer to mountain peasants. The jibaro has come to represent the Puerto Rican people in all their historic, ethnic and cultural complexity. The image of a jíbaro is used in all forms of Puerto Rican art, including this monument in Cayey.

This week here on the island we are celebrating the discovery of Puerto Rico.

On September 25, 1493, Christopher Columbus set sail on his second voyage to the new world with 17 ships and around 1,200-1,500 men. Columbus landed on this island on November 19, 1493. He named it San Juan Bautista (in honor of the John the baptist). During the 1520s, the island took the name of Puerto Rico which means "rich port". The island was inhabited before it's discovery by the Taino and Arawak Indians. Who were eventually all defeated in battle and subjugated. Badly mistreated by the Spaniards, they died out as a labor force and the role of the Indian was taken over by the African slaves.The discovery of Puerto Rico is an official island holiday, which was celebrated yesterday (Nov. 19th), all government offices were closed and there was no school. Today almost all the schools are having celebrations in honor of our discovery. These celebrations honor the Jibaro, our food, our history and our culture. Children dress up as Indians, and Jibaros. (I have yet to see anyone dress up as Columbus). There is a pot luck luncheon with everyone bringing food that represents our origins. I watched today as kids proudly wore clothes representing our history, carrying Puerto Rican flags, and carrying food, whose aroma made me hungry for something other than cereal this morning.

I have plenty to say about our commonwealth status and our conflicts in keeping culture alive despite the influence of the United States but I'll save that for another time. For today I am rejoicing in the discovery of my island, my home.

11 comments:

fringes said...

Loved this post. You're better than Wikipedia!

Anonymous said...

A lovely post.

The statue of the jibaro is one of my favorites; we stop there for a cigarette break on every cross-island trip.

By the way, did you know you can rearrange the letters i "Aguas Buenas" to spell "a sausage bun"?

I stole this idea from Dave Barry.

EsLocura said...

fringes, muchas gracias, if only wikipedia paid big cash.

Tom, thanks, I'll be trying to see what other profound words Aguas Buenas can be changed into.

Susan said...

This was great.


And I'm sure you have much, much more to say and will look forward to reading it.

EsLocura said...

Susan, thanks and I wonder if I'll run out of stuff to say before this NaBlo thing is over?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing our home and heritage with others that are not from the island. Although I don't live there, my parents did and I am so very proud of being part of that history. I can always count on you prima to share all these wonderful insights about PR!

Unknown said...

Great post! I've always wondered about the statehood thing - but I don't want to put a damper on your day. It's obvious how much you love your home. Thanks for sharing that :)

Tera said...

Quite the educational experience! Great post Es!!

EsLocura said...

Spunky, gracias, you know me always willing to educate and rave about PR

Wng, yeah statehood is a demon I'll post about someday, but not today.

Tera, where ya been? you have been missed.

Tera said...

Awww Garsh! I'm trying to pull my emotions together...I don't want to seem chronically depressed in my blog.

EsLocura said...

tera, don't worry, we can cheer ya up!

 
Google Analytics Alternative