Saturday, May 12, 2007

Whose your daddy?

Once when he couldn't find "his" hairbrush for the 100Th time, left the house and came back completely bald, exclaiming "enjoy my brush, I don't need it". We never used his hairbrush again.
In a restaurant, started a food fight with his salad. Laughed hysterically when other patrons joined in. When the manager came over to the table, blamed it on his kids. We were asked to leave and never return.

He cried as he told us that when he first got married he told his wife he didn't want children. Not because he didn't yearn to have them but because he feared he would not be a good father and provide for them adequately.

He once worked 2 full time jobs (in separate factories) for 13 months (80-90 hours a week) to provide a better living environment for us and not once, not ever, did we hear him complain or say he was tired.

He joined the U.S. Army and served in the Korean War. While enlisted learned to speak English, became a master Sargent, and taught weapons classes.

He got his High School equivalency diploma when he was 29 years old.

Always told his children how much they were loved, how special they were, and how much he believed in them.

He once stood under a rain spout in full view of the whole neighborhood and pretended to shower during a torrential rain storm just to make us laugh.

Despite negative comments from his male friends (mostly macho Puerto Ricans), treated his wife as an equal partner, even did house work. A very big deal in our culture.

He Started an exercise/boxing gym in the basement of our tenement building because he feared for the kids in the neighborhood. He wanted them to have a safe place to spend their free time. He demanded respect, encouraged laughter and pushed education.

Was "father of the bride" for several cousins and friends. Every one's favorite uncle.

The only man I ever sang to, and whose knee I drew a happy face on and when it started to fade, he asked me to re-draw it.

I would need many blog entries to list all his fabulous traits and all his random acts of kindness. He is the standard by which I judge all men in my life. He taught me to always be true to myself, the importance of honesty, compassion, hard work, devotion to family, love of music and nature. He taught me to honor friendship and life. That respect was earned and given to all beings. That charity is a noble act. That no matter how hard and harsh life gets, laughter heals. That to love and be loved is one of life greatest gift, so love unconditionally and without fear.



















The dictionary defines "worship" as reverent honor and homaged paid to a God or sacred personage, an adoring regard. I worship my dad. I am a product of incredible parents. Parents who with much love and sacrifice, offered me the world and encouraged my exploration of it. Parents who were never afraid to dream, grab and hold on to all of life's possibilities. I can't imagine my father fearing he wouldn't be a good parent. In my eyes, Papi, there couldn't have been a more perfect daddy.

Happy 75Th Birthday.

16 comments:

Amadeo said...

I hope someone can think of me that way one day. That's a father.

EsLocura said...

Amadeo, awareness and desire, are a good foundation.

Anonymous said...

He also was a very caring uncle to the three musketeers you know who I mean,He will always be in my heart also, Happy Bday Tio

EsLocura said...

Tlo, and he never looked at them differently, it was that whole unconditional love of family thing.

fringes said...

You stop making me cry when I come by your blog, okay? Thanks.

EsLocura said...

Fringes, you promise to keep coming by and I'll promise to provide tissues. deal?

jali said...

That was beautiful. You made us love your papi too!

Dagromm said...

That's awesome. I hope you realize how lucky you are to have such a great father.

EsLocura said...

Jali, thanks for the lovely compliment.

EsLocura said...

dagromm(the infamous) that's for stopping in at the asylum, yes, I am a very lucky girl.

EsLocura said...

dagromm, that's=thanks, I really should start proof reading

Anonymous said...

Oh, good gravy, Es L. Way to make a girl cry over here. You come by it honestly, my dear.

EsLocura said...

uno,dos,tres, thank you very much, pass the tissues, please.

EsLocura said...

Spunky, for some reason your comment doesn't show up but I did read it and I can feel the love.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy birthday, Eslocura's Papi.

What a wonderful, beautiful man you have described in this lovely tribute. Your father is the parent everyone yearns to have, but most do not.

He sounds like a king, and you are both so blessed to have each other.

Thank you for sharing him with us on his special day.

EsLocura said...

Hearts, thank you, I am blessed.

 
Google Analytics Alternative