Saturday, May 19, 2007

Citizen of where?

My online shopping experience sucks pond scum. It appears that Amazon as well as several other companies can't ship anything but books to Puerto Rico. I tried everything to convince Amazon that I had no ill intentions or terrorist plans for the new Cuisinart hand held blender I was trying to purchase. But nada, nothing, no way.

No one is able to give me a valid reason for denying my purchase except that I live in a foreign country. What the hell does that mean? Most of these companies ship worldwide. Last time I checked, Puerto Rico was still part of the "world". Sadly we fall into that gray "we can't ship anything but books because we have no idea who or what you really are" category. This is just one of the many pitfalls with our "commonwealth" status.

Let me fill you in on some little known facts. (Just in case someone asks you, or in case you ever need to group together and come save me from the asylum.) Puerto Rico is NOT a foreign country. It is a Caribbean island, whose size is 100 by 35 miles, or roughly the size of Connecticut. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the U.S.A. Some reference materials claim we are a "possession" of the United States.

So what exactly does "commonwealth" mean? It means we are a territory/colony. It means we are citizens of the United States. It means we have authority over our internal affairs (as long as they do not conflict with the U.S.) and the United States, well, they pretty much control everything else. The major differences between Puerto Rico and the 50 states are it's local taxation system, exemption from IRS code, and we do not have voting representation in either house of congress nor can we vote for president. The U.S. President is our chief of state ( but we are not a state) and our head of government is an elected governor. (which we do elect).

As citizens of the United States we are subject to military service and most federal laws. We do not pay federal income tax on locally generated earnings but Puerto Rican income tax rates closely parallel federal-plus-state levies on the mainland. Our languages are English and Spanish, our monetary unit is the U.S. dollar, our major industries are pharmaceuticals, electronics, food products and tourism. We use the United States postal system, UPS and FedEx both ship here. So why the hell can't I purchase the lovely new Cuisinart hand held blender online and have it shipped to my home?




27 comments:

EsLocura said...

David, I did not know that, thanks for sharing. I'm willing to pay in any monetary unit or in fresh fruit, if someone mails me the cuisinart. Thanks for stopping by the asylum. Knowledge is a good thing.

Em said...

There is no way to estimate the amount of damage you could create with a cuisinart! You could chop up all kinds of fruits and vegetables and wreck havoc with the local produce growers. Wanting a cuisinart is just crazy!! LOL

Just when we think the internet has created a flat world...you found one of the mountains that hasn't been leveled. Sorry about that!

heather said...

wtf! what is it that they think you're gonna do with the stick blender?? and you're right. the shipping policy doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

EsLocura said...

Em, ok, I admit it, I did plan on using the blender as part of my whole chopping,mashing experience, after all it's mango and papaya season, damn it.

Heather, world domination by cuisinart, that's my motto.

Anonymous said...

I will send you the Cuisinart for a token fee of my chosing. But before you agree check Walgreens they have them for $10 not a Cuisinart but similar. Does Puerto Rico have Walgreens?

EsLocura said...

gp. yes we do have walgreens and thanks for the offer but no thanks, it's cuisinart or nada for me and I just got one by "other" means (not requiring an online purchase).

Anonymous said...

Hey Cuz,
Don't Panic, carajo tell me what you want and I will order it and then ship it to you lol
always,
tlo

EsLocura said...

Tlo, you already have the title of "personal imported cold cuts supplier", (a job your damn good at).
The cuisinart will be somebody elses job.

jali said...

I'm pissed at a system that won't ship to PR. That's just crazy.

I'll add Washington,D.C's info. Voting rights in the District of Columbia differ from those of United States citizens in other parts of the country. In particular, citizens of the District of Columbia (i.e., the city of Washington, D.C.) have only limited (non-voting) representation in the United States Congress. Formerly, District residents had no participation in the federal government at all, but they have participated in presidential elections since passage of the 23rd Amendment in 1961 (in practice, since the election of 1964). Citizens of Washington are represented in the House of Representatives by a non-voting delegate who may vote in committee and participate in debate but cannot vote on the House floor. D.C. does not have any representation whatsoever in the United States Senate.

Several other political entities currently administered by the United States (including Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands) are currently identical to D.C. in having only a non-voting delegate to the House.

(Please edit as you see fit!)

EsLocura said...

Jali, no need to edit, your points are all valid. it is a fucked up system. Here is the other point that makes me mad, few companies (like zappos, love my shoes) ship for free! others will ship but will charge 3x's what an item is worth, it's just wrong.

Amadeo said...

They are treating you guys like red headed step children. I say break something, that seems to be standard procedure in these situations.

fringes said...

So, you cook, eh?

EsLocura said...

amadeo, I'd break that damn cuisinart but it might be years before I can get a new one.

fringes, I am a woman of many talents (most of them well hidden)

heather said...

hot damn! food, booze, and an island vacation to my grand mother's homeland. i'm on my way.... as soon as i can come up with the funds and convince j it's a good idea for me to disappear to a different country on my own for a week.

EsLocura said...

Heather, tell j your family history beakons you to the island, alone, to become one with the ancestors.

Kofi said...

as far as the cuisinart... maybe you're on someone's "list"... I mean, after all, this is the "asylum," isn't it? ;-)

heather said...

lmfao!! oh yeah, that's soooo gonna work. he'll tell me if i'm so into family history i need to start in ireland, where both have ancestors. besides, he knows how it is with me and tequila. 1 hour becomes 10 and it just gets worse from there.

EsLocura said...

Kofi, perhaps I should add paranoia to my list of symptoms.

EsLocura said...

Heather, PR is so much cheaper than Ireland, keep that in mind.

Dagromm said...

Thanks for all the info on PR. I've been curious exactly how it fits into the system. Apparently it doesn't.

Puerto Rico just needs to annex the U.S. to make things simpler. It's probably better than the other way around anyway.

EsLocura said...

dagromm, you are welcome, I'll take up the whole annex idea at the next town meeting.

Lee said...

maybe you should just get really good with knives? virginia is a commonwealth too, but i thought that just meant our politics was run by the goood ol boys in the tobaccy industry.

heather said...

oh dear god, could you imagine??lol

EsLocura said...

Lee, Virginia has the added charm of also being a state. ok maybe not charm when you think of the "good ol' boys".

EsLocura said...

heather, life would never be the same

Anonymous said...

SOunds nuts! My SIL is from PR. I know common wealth because I lived in england and all the surrounding EU countries. It's all confusing.

EsLocura said...

mrsmogul, it is so nuts to almost be funny. thanks for stopping by the asylum.

 
Google Analytics Alternative