Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Little Brother

Happy 15Th Birthday Little brother

I can remember picking you up at that dingy office and knowing life had changed. I was nervous, I never had a little brother and I had no experience with a 2 year old. But I knew the minute I saw your beautiful brown eyes, that I was in love. It didn't matter that you didn't walk, or talk and were so afraid. It didn't matter that the first 2 years of your life were dominated by a mother who preferred drugs more than her son, it didn't matter that you were so sickly and that your hair was the biggest ugliest Afro I had ever seen in my life. What mattered was that I had a little brother, and you now had a big sister. Through out the last 13 years, you have made up for lost time and become a wonderful young man. In keeping with our birthday tradition here is the list of all the things I still find amazing about you.
  • You are so funny. (You have a dry wit that I hope I had something to do with.)
  • You are compassionate and smart. I love discussing the woes of the world with you.
  • You are so damn good looking and you know it, which may not be a good thing but for now am letting it slide.
  • You seem to have already made peace with your scary start in life. That is so big, adults sometimes live their whole lives and never make peace with their past.
  • You openly share your emotions and thoughts with me. Am proud you feel that close to me to never hold back.
  • You are smart enough to know that skin color has never meant anything between us. Remember when some kids said I couldn't be your sister because you were black and I wasn't and you said our hearts were the same color and walked away. Amazing insight for a 6 year old.
  • You can be a pain in the ass, which I hear is typical of a teenager, so most times I let that slide too.
  • You are now way too tall and mature for a 15 year old. And although most people think you are 20, you are just 15. Enjoy it, you'll be 20 soon enough.
That's it, am not listing anything else because you already have a big enough ego. Right before my very eyes, you are becoming an amazing man. I am so proud of you. I absolutely love you.

(By the way, NO, I am not siding with you about getting an earring, and NO, I am not siding with you on getting a tattoo but YES, I'll do what I can to convince the folks about letting you get your hair braided)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are only 12 candles on that cupcake.

EsLocura said...

gp, the picture is just for show.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

How beautiful! I have always believed that love relatives were far more important than blood relatives.

I'm so very glad that you and your brother have each other.

EsLocura said...

Heart, thank you, it has been a bumpy ride but he is fabulous. I wanted to post pictures of him but he said "no way". damn it, that whole respect thing sometimes gets in the way.

fringes said...

Did your eyes get watery while you were writing this? Tell your brother we'd love to see his picture. What's better than a group of hot older women telling him how good-looking he is? Lighten up on the earring, big sister.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Albert

EsLocura said...

Fringes, yes, as I had a few flash backs about where it all started and where it is now, I got weepy. His is a long and complicated story but omg I wouldn't trade a moment of it. Am working on the pictures,the "hot older women" thing might work. I'll lighten up on the earring next birthday.

EsLocura said...

Hey Tony, I have passed along your message.

 
Google Analytics Alternative