Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Jenny from the block - Boricua?

J.Lo is no longer J.Lo. Talk about big news. (bullshit)

In an interview with Britain's The Guardian Newspaper, J.Lo said "I'm not J. Lo, no more. That's all gone with the ridiculous stories of tantrums and Egyptian sheets. That's all my past. I'm Jennifer Lopez. I think as a woman, I've finally grown more sure of who I am." BULLSHIT! She has finally decided she made enough money off white America and is moving on to Latin America. So she needs to emphasize the Lopez name.

She goes on to say "It does seem ironic that it has taken me more than a decade to basically get back to who I am. I am incredibly proud of my culture and I think I am a woman who is totally defined by my culture. My temperament, my body shape, the way I am, is all very much Puerto Rican." BULLSHIT! Ironic? is she kidding? She recorded a Spanish language album and she became Puerto Rican. OK, I'll give her some credit, she is right, her body shape is Puerto Rican. A woman "proud of and defined by her Puerto Rican culture", what the fuck is she talking about? I don't recall her Puerto Rican pride helping anyone on the island. I don't recall seeing/hearing of her involvement in Vieques. She only recently learned to speak Spanish and judging by local news, she "no habla" too well. I am sure she isn't at home making arroz y habichulas con chuletas and watching Sabado Gigante with Marc Anthony.

She made an autograph signing stop in the Bronx. ( for the new album, of course) The record shop was F.Y.E. This supports the Latin Community how? What, she couldn't find a Latin owned record shop in the Bronx? What the fuck. She is dropping Spanish names like crazy, all of a sudden, other famous people with Latin names are/were/ her idols and role models.

OK, so I have never been a fan of J.Lo. (can you tell) I have nothing against anyone who makes load and loads of money. She sings, dances, acts ,and is an entrepreneur. Living the American dream and all that. I applaud those things. What I take great offense to is using the "culture ethnic" card to sell records. Prior to this new album, I don't remember J.Lo sharing her joy at being Puerto Rican. Until now, have you read any interviews where she raved about our culture, our people, our food, or our island? (I haven't, then again I may not be totally up on all there is to know about her) The woman's self discovery came just in time for the release of her Spanish album. coincidence? I think not.

I am not sure what "block" Jenny is from but I am sure, she is not from my block. In another interview she states "I didn't know I lived in a bad neighborhood, until I dated a cop at age 19. He told me of the high crime in my neighborhood. To me it was just home." I ask you, how does one grew up in a bad neighborhood and not know it? The Brooklyn of my childhood was home to me too, but I sure as hell knew it was bad. (the gun shots were a give away). She needs to sell a record and her marketing ploy is to be Puerto Rican. I am not buying it. I don't care how Puerto Rican she claims to be, as far as I am concerned the only thing Puerto Rican about her is Marc Anthony. And I'm not sure that's enough.

To be "Boricua" (Boricua= term of endearment used among Puerto Ricans to adress each other, derived from the Taino name for the island of Puerto Rico, Boriquen.) one must know about our rich history. One must understand our culture and it's roots. One must relate to the diversity of our music, and our people. Boricua is in your soul, your blood. You don't become Boricua, you are born that way. Jennifer Lopez is Puerto Rican by default, her parents were born here. She can claim to be a Latina all she wants but she is no BORICUA pa' que lo sepas.

12 comments:

Jay said...

Jenny's from any block that has disposable income, apparently.

I heard that a latino record store won't sell her stuff anymore because she's only making appearances at anglo stores. How's that for ironic?

Anonymous said...

Two things:

I always thought that Jenny/J.Lo/Jennifer Lopez had a great butt.

I was not born a Boricua, but after 2+ years of living in Puerto Rico, I feel like one. Can I never really be one? Que lastima.

EsLocura said...

Yes, that is her block. The music retailer is Ritmo Latino and not only are they not selling her new record they have pulled all her records from their shelves. thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't seen you this mad since your trip to the electric company.

EsLocura said...

Jibaro, you can be an honorary one.

gp, I am even more pissed off if you can believe that.

mist1 said...

Still, I have been building up my little butt to be just like hers. I'm sorry. I am very, very shallow. I tell my butt, one day, you too can grow to look just like J. Lo's...or whatever I'm supposed to call her now.

EsLocura said...

Mist, I wonder if they sell some butt enhancing cream, worth looking into.

Anonymous said...

Given the ever increasing minority population, isn't it crazy that the few minorities with cash and power, use that power for good.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Keeping in mind that I have never liked her, I find her present incarnation as a Latina absurd and insulting to other people of Latin heritage, the ones who have always known that they are part of a rich culture.

She did not grow up in a dangerous neighborhood, and her parents had the means to pay for dancing, acting, and singing lessons from her early childhood. There were no gunshots in the background.

I think playing the exotic card is a cynical ploy to expand her market and sell more albums. Does she think Spanish-speaking people are stupid? They know that she is not muy casero.

EsLocura said...

Kevin, I am guessing you mean "not" for good, and if that's the case, amen. If that isn't what you meant, I am still sticking to my version, I like it better.

Hearts, You are a wise woman.

fringes said...

Three words: Mariah and O.J.

Oh, hey, two more words: Michael Jackson.

Returning to one's roots is always popular when one feels tapped out in a saturated market. Or when one feels like a double-murderer in need of a little love. Or like a crazy person.

Our communities need little sensors that act like club bouncers whenever these people try to get back in.

EsLocura said...

Fringes, I am all for the sensor idea, in fact, I'd like to fill out a job application.

 
Google Analytics Alternative