Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Small Spaces

I have never had a fear of small spaces. I always rather enjoyed them. Something about the closeness of walls, the cocoon, the knowing exactly what surrounds me, it brings me peace. Perhaps it's that old adage about the security of the womb that applies to my affection for small places. Perhaps it's just the control I feel when I can easily identify my surroundings. Perhaps it's just being crazy.

When I lived in Brooklyn, we lived in a one bedroom apartment. The bedroom was large enough to be two bedrooms. There was a small semi wall division that gave the illusion of 2 bedrooms but really, it was one big bedroom with a half wall, shared by the entire family. It was an old apartment with a long hallway between the living room and where the bedrooms were. Halfway down the hall was the bathroom and at the end of the hall, right before the living room was a closet. This closet measured approximately 8.5 feet long by 3.5 feet wide. How do I know this? Because that is where I lived for years. Because that closet was big enough for one twin size bed, one night stand and nothing more.

I needed my space. I longed for it. I had spoken to my parents about my need for privacy and since moving was not an option, I suggested using the closet as my new bedroom. They laughed, giggled and after many weeks of my relentless pleas for the closet, they gave in.

One afternoon after school, I moved my twin size bed, (mattress, box spring, no frame) and a little nightstand into the closet. The bed fit surrounded/touching the walls on 3 sides, at the foot of the bed was my nightstand and in front of the night stand was enough space for walking into the closet and climbing in/out of the foot of the bed. My source of light was a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling with a pull string. Thus began my love of small spaces.

Family and friends thought it was odd. Some people thought it was cruelty on my parents behalf. I thought it was heaven. I spent every chance I had in the closet. I did homework in there, read for hours, ate snacks and wrote in my journals. When I stood on the bed and pulled the string on the bulb before bed, there was pitch black, darkness. I'd lay in bed surrounded by my thoughts, fantasies and enveloped by a lack of light that would have frightened most children.

After high school, I moved to Massachusetts and came out of the closet, literally. All my adult life I have lived in big spaces. Large homes, light and airy. My current home is always filled with sunlight and cool tropical breezes. Doors and windows are open all day and all night. I love the freshness of keeping things open, the beauty of seeing the shadows and prisms caused by the sunlight. But on days when the world seems to beat me down and I feel melancholy, my thoughts drift back to the closet. Memories of a small dark space, where the loudest sound was my own breathing, where the only pressure came from my own thoughts and fantasies, where my love of writing filled the pages of countless journals.

I sometimes long for the closet and although I never regret "coming out of the closet", I sometimes long for the small dark space where a little girl escaped the realities of poverty, racism and violence. The closet where she dreamed of the countless adventures filled with beauty, that her life had yet encountered.

20 comments:

fringes said...

Wow. Awesome post. You are a fantastic storyteller. I was part of the story, and that is such a gift. Thanks for sharing.

EsLocura said...

Fringes, am thrilled by your presence and touched by your lovely compliment. Gracias.

Anonymous said...

I was born in to this world from a tight space. As a male I spend most of my time trying to get back into that tight space.

EsLocura said...

anon, good luck with your quest.

Kofi said...

Well told. I often longed to escape my surroundings as a youngster (and still do from time to time) and find those quiet spaces. It's just that now I have to find the moments of escape on trains, city streets and from my office desk. Occasionally, late at night, I succeed.

EsLocura said...

Kofi, you have to take that "space" whenever you can. Late night is one of my favorite times to escape.

Susan said...

I grew up on a farm. Sometimes I wish for the smell of fresh cut hay..beautiful story.

EsLocura said...

Susan, muchas gracias.

Tera said...

Es...I just love reading your posts! Fantastic! We always lived in a crowded situation when I was younger, so I know how much refuge a young girl can take in small spaces...oh the memories!

EsLocura said...

tera, gracias, your compliments are always greatly appreciated.

heather said...

for me it is basements, or storage rooms. oddly enough, even though i complain about doing the show in the laundry room it's actually my favorite room in the house. it's the ~only~ place i can get any privacy! not even the bathroom is sacred around here. drives me up the freakin wall.

Dagromm said...

I was the opposite. Outside was my place to escape. Either the apartment swimming pool or the field beyond under the power lines. I would go out and wander and imagine and search for things. Or I would go under water and have that strange sensation of muffled peace and the feel of the movement of the water. I never minded trespassing if I was curious what was on the other side of a fence and I guess I was lucky that I never got in trouble or hurt, although I am admittedly not so different now.

Very good post. Made me think.

EsLocura said...

heather, everyone has that little space somewhere ... btw try locking the bathroom door.

dagromm, I've always enjoyed that muffled peace why floating in the ocean.

Amadeo said...

I'm the opposite. When I finally got a room of my own it was small enough that I could lay on the floor and touch one wall with my feet and the other with my hands without extending my arms fully. Now I want more and more space.

jali said...

I used to get a little nervous in confined spaces - like on the E train between stations at 7:45 in the morning - or on a too crowded elevator.

I like cozy but spacious. (contraditory terms but I know what I like)

EsLocura said...

amadeo, your old room sounds like my old room.

Jali,thrilled to know you are feeling well and are back. Cozy but spacious, I get it.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

This is such a lovely evocation of childhood, of the resilience of children who triumph over poverty, racism and violence.

You are a wonderful writer, and I love reading your recollections of your Brooklyn beginnings.

My escape hatch was a "tree house" made of a stolen plank propped between the crotch of a large birch tree and fence in a corner of our backyard. I spent hours there in solitary bliss with books, pad and pencils, not so much escaping as figuring out who I was.

EsLocura said...

Heart, thank you for the wonderful compliment. I always wondered what having a tree house would be like, probably like a closet only more open and tree like.

Jen said...

Lovely post. Not to sound cheesy, but something about the way you described it made me think that an enclosed space like that can be womb-like. Stay with me here. The tight space where only you fit, hearing nothing but your own breathing - there's something protective and instinctual about all of that.

EsLocura said...

Jen, muchas gracias and welcome to the asylum.

 
Google Analytics Alternative