Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Simple pleasures and gratefulness

I have been trying to make nice with the universe lately. I haven't gone off on a rant, my swearing is minimal, and I've been thinking a lot about pleasure. It's been a difficult and emotional time the last few months. I have felt torn about my priorities and where my loyalties should be. I have repeatedly had to deal with familia stuff, and the fucking idiot rude neighbors next door among other things. So this week I am trying to spend a little time focusing on pleasure, things that I enjoy, things that make me happy. I'm trying to release the bile that sometimes makes me feel completely toxic. Ahh pleasure, things that please, the things that have helped to keep me a little bit sane, and helped wash away some of that iniquitous bullshit that at times makes me a not so happy person.

  • The beach: I have laid in the sun, enjoyed the warmness of the Caribbean sea. Eaten seafood fritters and had several ice cold beers. Stepped on a dead sea urchin, got sand in some not so pleasant places but it was all good. Sun worshiping pleasure.
  • The Finca: my farm, sometimes I whine about the work involved in keeping this place thriving but when we bring in our crops, prideful sweetness. From the bananas to the panas, to the avocados, the pineapples, the acerolas, delicious pleasure.
  • Music: my iPod is my savior. I can flip from salsa to hip hop to the blues in moments. Prince's Planet Earth is presently bringing me pleasure.
  • The beast of Bayamoncito: my cat, there is something seriously wrong with his circuits but damn he cracks me up. Pleasurable furriness.
  • My cousins: Jose, for always coming to work when I need help. Aury, because she loves and hugs so unconditionally, Tony, he never fails to call. Daisy, Nancy and Olga because my childhood memories are filled with their joy and my adult life is blessed because we are family. Related pleasures.
  • Las Comadres: Loli and Yolanda, not a day goes by when I don't have your words of love and support echo in my head. Friendship pleasures.
  • T: Absolute goodness in one very far away package. Loving Pleasure.
  • Blog readers/writers: you make me laugh, you encourage my writing, your talents are vast, the community impressive. Creative pleasures.
What brings you pleasure lately? What are you grateful for? What adds a little bit of sweetness to your bad day? Go ahead tell me, I need a little vicarious pleasure.

15 comments:

Kofi said...

I like listening to falling rain. Or running in it. The smells of the sea when I come home from work. Reading big books that never end, books that understand me a little more than I understand them. Sitting at home with the TV and radio off. Sitting at home with the TV and radio on. Singing to my synthesizer. Pizza, ice cream and meat. The Internet. These are all things I am grateful for. The lesser loves of my life.

Tera said...

I am grateful for wine...and seeing as how a friend of mine and I just polished off a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, I am feeling really good! Wine. Yes. Wine. And what brings me pleasure? Good sex...which I hope I am about to get in about 10.4 seconds. Yes. Good sex.

EsLocura said...

Kofi, great list, am adding a few those to my list.

Tera, 10.4 seconds that's pretty precise, must be the wine talking.

Unknown said...

My negrito jabaito...LOL
He's my new release and pleasure. He makes me smile with my heart and for that...I'm so grateful.
My trip to El Puertorrrrrrrrro tomorrow!
My friends and family's unconditional love and support.
Hey...life is good!

EsLocura said...

Cocoa, have a safe return to la isla.

Anonymous said...

My children laughing at me, thats a simple pleasure that cannot be outdone.
Blowing bubbles with my daughter in the park.
Eating ice cream.
Talking with Cocoa until I nearly pee in my pants.
Hugging my Mom - even when she gets on my nerves.
Asking my 21 year old brother for help and he drops everything for me.
Simple things and the joy they bring : )

I am taking my first plane ride with my oldest and dearest friend Cocoa tomorrow...pray for me.
We are going to lay on the beach and not say a damn thing all day.
And maybe look like your neighbor in the morning after a night of drinking.

Susan said...

There's a boulder I sit on by the lake and close my eyes. With them closed I breathe in slowly and deeply...Breathing is highly underestimated in importance..

Singing. It's letting the soul have a moment when just the right words get out there. "The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge is one of my classic karaoke songs.

My friend G. He rubs my neck and doesn't make remarks about how I hurt it.

Slow dancing. You know those times when you barely hear the music and it just the sound of your heart pounding leads the beat..There's your partners smell wrapping around you. It's such a joy..

...also, I wouldn't mind a 10.4 second away joy as mentioned above. That may happen tomorrow. (fingers crossed!)

EsLocura said...

anon, safe travels and a lovely list.

Susan, yeah that 10.4 second thing got my attention as well. And I so agree about breathing.

Dagromm said...

Coaching the youth soccer team and seeing the looks on the girls faces when they have a triumph. Seeing them grow and develop and have fun and knowing that I've gotten to be a part of something they will remember and hopefully pass on to their kids.

EsLocura said...

dagromm, you are so sweet but of course I will deny saying that in a court of law.

Amadeo said...

The Vixen
My ipod
impending car purchase
Venti Green Tea Lattes (w/Raspberry)
Cool Showers
The 5:00 world

Anonymous said...

Faraway loving goodness... FLG

EsLocura said...

amadeo, am going to try that green tea latte.

Anon, FLG right back at ya.

lyre said...

writing and reading blogs is defintely my pleasure. The view form my bedroom window of my back yard on the lake. Tippy22 my little puppy. my soft mattress. my fan that blows 24/7 while i lay in my soft mattress.

EsLocura said...

lyre, soft mattress and a sea breeze is one of my pleasures.

 
Google Analytics Alternative