Thursday, February 08, 2007

Daily Life

Upon waking up and realizing it was a quiet day here at the asylum, I decided it was the perfect day to do housework and laundry. I donned my work clothes, boxer shorts, t-shirt, flip flops and headed first to the finca (farm) to instruct my cousin Jose aka my farm hand on the days work. Then started the laundry, the housework, fed the chickens and the cats. (yes, cats as in more then one, in addition to my little feakazoid, Rusty has joined our little family) I worked up a sweat after several hours, and now certainly not looking my best, covered with mud, sweaty and my hair, well, let's not even go there, who should stop by for a quick hello and political rundown but our Mayor. Luis Arroyo Chiques. He opened the gate and strolled right into the asylum as if he owned the place. I guess that comes with being mayor. He carries a certain air of ownership. We held our little meeting on the terrace. He in his business attire, me in my boxers and mud.

His honor has done plenty for our sleepy town. Among the highlights this past year was a new public bus which serves the country side bringing all us "country folks" into town, for free. In town we have a new youth center, and a library, which also has computers. Computers may not sound like a big deal to all you city folk but here in Aguas Buenas, it's a big deal. He also has brought in new commerce and new jobs. It is safe to claim that as far as politicians go, our mayor is doing a fine job.

OK, back to the visit. After talking about family, friends and the farm. Luis (as I call him after all if you can just stroll into the asylum unannounced, then I can call you by your first name) As I was saying, Luis informed us that construction on the new community center here on the mountain would start soon as funds have been approved. As if that wasn't enough fabulous news, there will also be a new "technology center" constructed. What! technology coming to the mountain! Praise be! The community center will hopefully be a meeting place for neighbors and will offer various classes such as crafts and aerobics. The technology center will house computers, have classes and will be connected to the electronic library in town. Our mayor is in touch with the people. Go figure. He knows here in the country most parents cannot afford to expose their children to the latest technology and so he is bringing it to us. what a guy.

So after all the shared info, giving a nod and up the chimney he rose, no wait that was someone else. We said our goodbyes and Luis left as quickly as he arrived. I sat on the terrace and pondered my day. Yep, another typical day, housework, laundry, farm work, a visit from the mayor all while looking my absolute best. Sweaty, muddy, hair looking like I stuck my finger in a socket, boxer shorts, t-shirt (sans brassier, of course). Yep, some day's you just gotta love the asylum.

No comments:

 
Google Analytics Alternative