Monday, February 26, 2007

Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

(click on any photo for larger version)

I try to greet each day with a positive attitude and fresh outlook. One of the ways I do this is by taking a daily walk/run. I have to admit that most of the time I walk, I do not run. I am not a runner. I go through periods of time when I run because I hear running is good for me and there is an alleged "runner's high" which so far I have found to be extremely elusive. Frankly if I were to get high (not that I would ever do such a thing) but if I were, running would not be my drug of choice. I am also not convinced that running is "good" for me. I sweat (which I hate), and I can't breath (which can't be healthy). The plus side is I get to invest in extremely expensive running shoes, and buying shoes of any kind is always a treat. Given the roads in my neighborhood, I repeatedly take a break from running and walk. If I didn't, I am convinced I would just drop dead, or at the very least drop to the ground and cough up blood. For one thing, the roads here (although paved) are not straight nor flat. I live in the mountains, the roads are winding and up/down hill. The other point is that I live on a tropical island, the heat and the humidity can be gruesome. The groovy part is that it's beautiful here in the mountains, and nature is without a doubt one of my "highs".

I walk/run up hill. There are no sidewalks but we do have paved roads.

I walk/run down hill. You would think down hill would feel good but since I know that means soon I am heading up hill again, I can't get too excited.That's a banana plant on the left (big leaf) with an orange tree behind it. There are many fruit trees by the side of the road. (mango and papaya are my favorites) I am still trying to work out the logistics of bringing a blender along with me. I would be more motivated to run if I could whip up some sort of fruit daiquiri along the way.I am absolutely elated when I spot the longest stretch of straight flat road. That means I am close to home and I start to contemplate what daiquiri I am going to make with all the fruit I am carrying. Let me tell you, it isn't easy running while carrying my water bottle, camera, and fruit I picked from the side of the road.This is a breadfruit tree, it's really a veggie. I never pick these from the side of the road because by now I am too loaded down with many other roadside finds.By the time I spot "home sweet home", I am panting and gasping for air. I work on keeping my excitement under control for fear my heart will burst in my chest. Perhaps carrying 10 oranges, 14 bananas, 24 mango's and 6 papayas was too ambitious. I have walked/run for miles (or kilometers, we use the metric system in Puerto Rico). After a shower and several daiquiri's I am ready to face the day. Hope it's groovy where you are.

5 comments:

123Valerie said...

Did I ever tell you I make a damn fine house maid. I'd even gladly wear the outfit.

EsLocura said...

Be still my heart, does that outfit include fishnets? and how skillful are you with blenders?

Anonymous said...

Fish nets, indeed. I think it's against the law, otherwise.

Oh, and former bartendress, my dear. Margaritas, brandy Alexanders, strawberry milkshakes--I'm on it.

mist1 said...

I absolutely must have a mango daiquiri. Now. So thirsty.

EsLocura said...

Mist, hitch a ride with uno, dos, tres, I'll be waiting by the side of the road.

 
Google Analytics Alternative