Monday, September 03, 2007

Beautiful

Some times I feel the need to find beauty. I understand that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and for the moment I am the "beholder". Beauty gives me reason to pause and enjoy the sensory pleasure, be it sight, sound, or taste. Beauty encompasses many things for me, it goes beyond the basic physical thing. Not that I don't find the physical to be sweet, we all look, we all swoon, and we all fantasize. Physical beauty isn't one I pause for too often, but when I do, damn, it's a thrill.

Natures beauty is a great high for me. The above banner is a picture I took one morning while having coffee on the balcony. Sunrise, it was almost magical. Nature is amazing. Sometimes I get so tied up with the things that keep me busy that I almost lose sight of the fact that I live on a gorgeouse tropical island, where finding beauty means just looking outside. Don't we all get so busy sometimes we forget to look around, take in our surroundings and feel grateful?

Tasteful beauty, there is nothing like the food of this island. Seeing all the fruits and veggies grow, is pretty groovy. The beauty starts at the plant and ends with something delicious to eat. The bakeries here provide sweets, breads, and sandwiches that make you forget the calories and just refuse to step on the scale for a month.

Shoes, talk about beauty. I just bought a pair of flip flops that are fabulous. (I know, I read the news, flip flops are bad for my feet but so what). I paid $3.99 for them, on sale, 75% off, beautiful! Shoes of any kind, damn beautiful.

Friends and family, beautiful. (most sometimes) I am blessed with incredible friends. Friends that love me unconditionally. As for family, it amazes me that for a group as large as we are, most of us are on speaking terms, haven't ordered a "hit" (recently) and share many laughs.

Music is beautiful. It doesn't matter what mood I'm in or how frazzled I get, music does indeed make life better. (except for reggaeton, that never makes anything better). Certain sounds are beautiful, like laughter, and sweet whisperings. One of my favorites is the coqui's after a heavy rain.

Love is a beautiful thing. Finding the time to pause and admire the love we sometimes take for granted, not an easy task but so worth it. Isn't it sad that sometimes we recall the beauty of love when it's too late ? Love, savor it, bask in it, roll around in it, before it's too late.

I have spent a lot of time recently finding beauty, re-discovering it, and reminding myself of it's existence. I had forgotten that beauty was right here, always surrounding me, waiting patiently to be noticed. We should all make an attempt to stop ignoring beauty. It's not that difficult to find. Perhaps the planet would be a sweeter place if we were to embrace more beauty. Beauty in the simple things, a smile, a warm embrace, a silly conversation, a good cup of coffee with a decadent dessert, or even a great pair of flip flops.

Share the beauty, where do you find it, what's beautiful to you? I need to know.

18 comments:

lyre said...

6 little baby duccks hatche din my fornt yard following their mother into the lake out back is beautiful to me.

Mariposa Traicionera said...

this is a nice post... i have to stop and smell the beauty soon...before I forget what it is!
thanks

EsLocura said...

lyre, awww sweet, baby animals are always amusing.

nuyorican, gracias, do stop and enjoy before it's too late. Thanks for stopping at the asylum.

Susan said...

After the weekend I had I need to find some beauty...I'm starting to doubt it exists..

Paula D. said...

That was wonderful! I went to my cousin's house in Philly & on the way I was just in awe of all the gorgeous murals painted on different buildings around the city. They always make me 'swoon' & I swear I see different ones each time :-)

EsLocura said...

Susan, don't doubt, it's there, just look around with an open mind.

Paula, murals are one of the things I miss about the east coast, we had one in Boston that always made me smile.

Tera said...

After the rain, there is consistently a beautiful rainbow that dances across the sky behind my house! I also take the time to look at the beauty in landscapes, and the auburn kissed sky at dusk.

Es, I think you've started something...I am going to push myself to be more aware of beauty this week!

Anonymous said...

Here is the Northeast during the fall season-all the leaves are changing colors.We have bright orange, light & dark reds and even purple-a sight not to be missed.

NoRegrets said...

Sunday it was the wind in the trees.
Monday it was the song on the radio.
Today it was the smile of someone who had been sad, told his sad story, and was able to smile.

Very nice post. :-)

EsLocura said...

Tera, a beauty trend, wouldn't it be great if I could get that to replace my whine trend?

Spunky, fall colors, one of the things I really miss from the east.

noregrets, thank you, and welcome to the asylum.

Kofi said...

Homecooked food. That's the current beauty in these parts...

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I find beauty in the natural world, animals, plants and skies, and in faces and hands. Old people have a certain beauty that has to be grown into. I love art, everything from museum works to graffiti, and things that have been handcrafted by someone. Words are beautiful to me, and music, good food, and the touch of a loved one.

EsLocura said...

kofi, YUM.

Hearts, that's a beautiful list.

heather said...

i'm gonna work on a post for my response. lots of ideas. :-)

Jen said...

First of all, beautiful picture.

Lately I have been finding beauty in old pictures. Not just because I looked prettier and younger, but I find my family's progression and growth beautiful. Also in my surroundings - I live in a beautiful city, and every day while I ride the bus to and from work I pass through some really interesting areas and neighborhoods. I keep telling myself that before the summer is over I am going to take a marathon walk and take pictures of them all.

EsLocura said...

heather, I'll look forward to reading it.

Jen, thank you, and I look forward to checking out the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Es!
this is my favorite blog....but don't tell my bff cocoa rican or the green eyed devil may just rear its head and WHAM I will be on the do not call, do not answer calls list....
cas608

P.S. I love you Cocoa....you know I do

EsLocura said...

cas, I promise not to tell as long as you don't : )

 
Google Analytics Alternative