Tuesday, June 12, 2007

American Latina

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

I went to the mall the other day and as is my habit, I parked in the space reserved for pregnant women and cut through Sears to get where I wanted to go. As I was walking through Sears, I spotted a table with T-shirts celebrating Independence day. July 4Th ... um ... did someone forget this was Puerto Rico? I am pretty sure July 4Th is not Puerto Rico's independence. No, wait, we do celebrate the United States Independence because we are a territory of the U.S. and not yet independent. But this isn't about my political views. ( well, maybe, sort of, a little.)

Seeing the shirts reminded me of seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time. I skipped school one day just to go and view Lady Liberty, up close and personal. I have all sorts of tidbits still stored in my brain pan from that first visit. Things that would only come in handy should I ever appear on Jeopardy and one of the categories is "Things about the Statue of Liberty". But since that isn't going to happen, I am sharing a few of them here with you: It's actual title is "Liberty Enlightening the world", her tablet has July4 1776 engraved on it, her crown has seven spikes representing the seven seas and seven continents. The broken shackles lying at Lady Liberty's feet signify liberation from oppression and tyranny. The torch (as the title states) represents enlightenment. Since 1903 Emma Lazaru's poem "The New Colossus" (a part of which appears under the photo up top) welcomes immigrants.

We have this beautiful woman, filled with so much symbolism, given as a gesture of friendship between two nations and when I read the news, I do NOT get all warm and fuzzy about freedom and friendship and welcoming people from all over the globe. We all know that France isn't "our" friend now, for a while there, just asking for french fries was cause for concern. There's a war going on, the immigration debate is hot and heavy, a lot of censorship issues making people angry, still plenty of hatred and bigotry. The president is an idiot. And as the saying goes ... the rich get richer and the poor ... well, fuck the poor. Teenage pregnancy is crazy, "no child left behind" is even crazier. The young don't seem to understand the difference between fake violence and the real thing and most of their parent's don't either. Women are raped, brutalized and killed daily. A lot of people (kids included) have no homes and go hungry (often), The environment is not having a good day, suicide is on the increase, as is mental illness and Paris Hilton is still in jail, talk about oppression and tyranny.

I clearly remember the feeling of sheer wonderment and pride that I felt when I first saw Lady Liberty. That very first day I memorized the poem by Emma Lazaru and all sorts of trivial and not so trivial facts about the Statue of Liberty. As a child, I so believed in the symbolism and could point to examples around me that justified all for which she stood. As an adult I still believe in her symbolism, but it has become more difficult to see the examples as clearly as I did that day. I guess my rose colored glasses have many, many smudges.

17 comments:

Tera said...

Terrific post Es!!! I have never seen the Statue of Liberty, but have always wanted to...but I'll tell you what, I am not so encouraged nowdays to feel in any way patriotic. And if this country knew my thoughts about Bush, I might be executed, so I'll keep them to myself!

EsLocura said...

tera, trust me, I do not have many pleasant things to say about Bush either, and as a resident of Puerto Rico, I can no longer vote for president, which does bother me somewhat, not that I have a clue about who I would vote for right now but still it bothers me.

Amadeo said...

There's a lot of hipocrosy going on. What really kills me is the immigration thing is about brown people. I have read studies saying the majority of illegals are from european countries that just come here and let there Visa expire and I know some people who represent this fact that will tell you all of their friends from Europe did just that.

fringes said...

"The broken shackles lying at Lady Liberty's feet signify liberation from oppression and tyranny."

In which country? Not ours, let me just say.

heather said...

eslocura, i love my country. don't care for the government though.

i'm good at compartmentalizing.

EsLocura said...

amadeo,I think it will come as a shock to Mr. Bush that immigrants does not mean "only those of brown skin".

Fringes, sad but true, and let me tell you they weren't talking about PR either.

Heather, I am pretty good at that too. I am proud of being able to easily relate to both the U.S. and PR, I am proud of my citizenship and my culture.

Kofi said...

I've been to the Statue of Liberty a few times. I've never climbed higher than the pedestal though -- we always got there too late in the day to attempt climbing all the way up. It's a powerful symbol. A nice piece of architecture.

I'm not sure I'm feeling all the symbolism it's supposed to represent these days.

Lex said...

What a wonderful post.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog (though I sense you've been lurking). I will be back often.

Tu isla es hermosa.

EsLocura said...

Kofi, it's sad we aren't feeling it, but there is always hope.

EsLocura said...

Lex, I am a lurker, but once I come out, I'm out for good. thanks for stopping in. Y gracias, espero que vuelvas a la isla del encanto pronto.

jali said...

I absolutely love this post.

The ones who scream about "america the greatest" but have no empathy for those trying to follow the same dreams are the ones who brag about the legal immigration of their forefathers omitting the part explaining that there were no laws on the books way back when.

The emmigration of "americans" from US soil to the "Texas" region of Mexico led to the annexation of the land and the formation of the state. These same "invaders" now want to force people who have roots in that land to get out if they don't speak english. (ironically the language of the revolutionary's opressor - King G.)

My hatred of the shrub and his administration grows daily.

(returnign the soapbox and control to es... sorry for the rant)

EsLocura said...

Jali, I love your rants, feel free to rant here anytime (that shrub thing cracked me up)

EsLocura said...

let's pretend, thank you, there is humor in truth (sometimes), welcome to the asylum.

Paula D. said...

Excellent post! This is my 1st time stopping by.....great blog!

EsLocura said...

Paula, thank you and welcome to the asylum, please stop in again.

Nina said...

Wonderful post.

I've seen Lady Liberty. I was young and amazed, in awe of what she stands for. If I were to revisit her today, I'm sure that I'd feel differently given the state of the world today. But I do still love this country.

EsLocura said...

Nina, I still love this country as well, and still believe in the goodness of all she stands for, just some days it's harder to believe then others.

 
Google Analytics Alternative