Friday, December 12, 2008

Soon to return

Dearest Huckleberries,

I have been so neglectful of the asylum and the 3 or 4 million of you that stop in to visit. I haven't felt much like writing. When I do feel like writing it isn't anything pleasant because ya know my mood tends to be foul of late. And lets face it this blog has been a bit of a downer more times than not lately. So I have chosen to be silent rather then continue my downward spiral at the asylum.
My mood isn't much better but I do so love the asylum and have decided that writing is a joyous thing so am going to focus on a little writing, perhaps some remodeling, this place could use a little paint to freshen it up. Just to get me started back on the right track here are some totally useless things to share with you:
  • In recent months I bought fresh blueberries and pomegranates. If you're thinking not a big deal, you would be wrong. It is a big deal when those items are imported to the island. I paid $7 for the the pint of blueberries and $17 for the 6 pomegranates. As with most food items that are imported to this island, you buy them when you see them because you may never see them again. You pay exaggerated prices because that's just the way it goes. So I bought them. The blueberries were used to make pancakes, YUM! Worth every penny. I had not eaten a pomegranate since moving here 4 years ago. I love them. They were the biggest ones I have ever seen and were simply scrumptious. Deliciously sweet, almost decadent and worth every incredibly overpriced cent. It made me happy.
  • My house is in the process of getting a makeover, roofs were leaking and now have been sealed, painting is progressing at a snails pace due to the constant daily rain. But damn, it's starting to look fabulous.
  • The holiday season is here, Bah fucking Humbug, yeah that's my attitude.
  • Tuesday (Dec. 9th) would have been my parents 53rd wedding anniversary, breaks my heart, fills it with sorrow. Fuck!
  • I have a couple memes to do, have been reading your blogs. (promise to start commenting again this week, well maybe) You huckleberries are a creative bunch and greatly amusing.
  • Poi is an interesting character from my neighborhood. I have watched him walk up and down our road for the past 4 years. He is always followed by at least 4 dogs. He is disheveled, very dirty looking and hasn't had a haircut for at least the 4 years that I have watched him. He basically ignores everyone, just wanders around, picking things out of trash cans, followed by his trusty pack of dogs. For 4 years I have gone out of my way to greet him, "hello, good morning, Hi, how are you?, good afternoon". At first he ignored me, then he started sticking his tongue out at me, then a couple weeks ago he said hi back. (Progress, after just 4 years) Now he sometimes blows me kisses or waves first. Last week I found out his story. Poi was once married and had a 5 year old son. He also had his own business. About 6 years ago his little son was killed by a passing car. It left Poi and his wife broken, so broken that they each fell apart. their marriage ended, he lost his business, turned to alcohol and slowly became the "man he is today". He no longer has a family, or a home. He isn't always coherent. He relies on people in our neighborhood to feed him, lives where ever he finds cover, always protected by his dogs. He exist a broken crazy man who now takes the time to wave at me. I wonder where my breaking point is. Do we all have one? That place that is so painful and ugly that we break. Kinda makes me want to stop whining about how much this year sucks the juice of pond scum. Kinda but not yet.
  • Speaking of whining, this year really fucking sucks, ton's.
  • Despite my obvious misery I am still absolutely in awe of the beauty that is this island. The night sky filled with so many stars it becomes a challenge to find specific constellations because I am so distracted by all the twinkling. The incredible burst of color at almost every sunrise and sometimes sunset. The lush vegetation, the island air. Puerto Rico truly is "la isla del encanto".
  • I use to be able to flip back and forth between English and Spanish with ease. Completely fluent in both, translations were a breeze. I can't do that lately. My pronunciation in either language is seriously lacking. I get stuck trying to think of a particular word in either language. I sometimes start off in English and end up in Spanish and don't notice until the clerk gives me that blank "I have no clue what you are talking about" look. It's a little crazy.
  • Tony, there was a Ramito festival in Caguas this weekend. I didn't go but I would have gone in a heart beat had you been in town.
  • I am still at war with my loud neighbors and still have a pigeon problem.
  • My brother has a new girlfriend, she sings in the church choir, young love, arrgghh.
  • I once again for the gazillion time this year must thank you for the concern. Your short notes, comments and texts have been warmly received even if I haven't acknowledged them. Truth be known every month there seems to be another reason why life sucks, why I am sad and miserable. Every month that goes by I have a better understanding about why some people "break". Every month I am still here grasping at the small things, hoping they are enough to get me through another day. Every Month I realize I still have enough strength and humor to get through one more day. Every month I wonder how helpful sleeping pills or anti-depressants might be. But every so often I think "this too shall pass" and I'll be OK. And life does go on ... only it's different than the life I once loved. But I'll grow to love this one too, only differently. So there you have my last "misery" rant, well maybe not my last. I will be back, with a lot less whining, well maybe not a lot less whining but a better attitude, well maybe not that either but I will be back soon. Promise.
Besos, Es
(feed the turtles, it's my attempt at something joyful)


16 comments:

Kofi said...

Great to hear from you. I will refrain from adding to what your posted, but I agree, this past week was very interesting.

It sounds so strange to hear you talk of "importing" fresh fruits.

EsLocura said...

Kofi, it has been an odd week. We actually grow so many varieties of fruit it is crazy to think we pay big cash for imports. thanks for being here : )

Anonymous said...

I heard apples were ridiculously overpriced too.

Couldnt bare it. I eat like 3 a day.

I am relieved you are pissed off. It means you are ALIVE.

"Get busy livin, or get busy dyin"

You go on with your bad self...

EsLocura said...

Cas, thanks for the inspiration. (and yes in the summer apples are over priced, winter not so bad)

Dagromm said...

Merry Christmas. I hope it's a great one.

EsLocura said...

dags, good luck on your quest, merry Christmas to you as well.

Anonymous said...

ahhh escolura, it was so nice to see you pop up in my comments. i am sad to hear you are still having such a hard time of it and the story of the man who lost his son broke my heart. what a triumph that he is blowing you kisses!

when i was going thru such a rough time with my ex-hole trying to take my kids away, my anxiety kept me from sleeping. the less sleep i got, the more anxious i became. the more anxious i became, the more irrational i felt. i finally started taking a sleeping pill (just over-the-counter Unisom) and i swear, getting a little sleep made me more capable to deal with the next day. it is a vicious circle, tiredness. hang in there.

EsLocura said...

franki, I use to think sleep was over rated but alas you are so right about the irrational portion of the program, so sleeping pills it is.

Pamela said...

Well, I for one really embraced the better living through drugs program. And I agre with Franki that sleep helps make things better, and something to help you sleep, at least temporarily, will do wonders. I'm still stuck on the Clonazepan or howeverit's spelled, but will get off it soon. Really, a kick in the ass should help you too. Are you exercising???

Anonymous said...

Come to my place and I will make you all kinds of pancakes, including blueberry. I need the practice and the experience.

I will even cook you a big fat pernil with rice and gandules and beans...I need the practice. If you prefer, I can prepare a cured ham...I will ask the butcher of what disease the ham was cured from.

No se de tostones ni mucho menos de mofongo, but you can release your dislike of cooking so you can teach me the proper preparation of these dishes.

Come to my house and I will introduce you the newest member of the family, Biches...it's Biches so I won't say Peaches, which I can't seem to stop saying.

Come to my house and you can help me shovel snow...my back needs the help. The temp last night was -15 degrees.

Come to my house and maybe I can help you feel a little better emotionally. Jy Jy Jy

Come to my house and teach me proper Spanish and English.

Or just come without an agenda...

Anonymous said...

Feed the turtles? They look more like piojos.

EsLocura said...

Pamela, Ha! did you mean "kiss" my ass? Yeah, I am exercising running and walking daily. And yes drugs are a groovy thing. : )

Anon, your house is always a healing place with or without agendas. Besos

Anon, eewwww piojos!

heather said...

why do i keep thinking i've commented when there's nothing from me there?

one of life's mysteries.
not as important as the mystery of how the hell i'm gonna convince j that i ~need~ to go to pr for a month or so. :)

blueberries aren't that bad here, the poms though i pay about the same for. which means with my bitch of a budget, we don't get them often.

the turtles are like my cats, if they'd just hold the fuck still for a minute!....
;)

love ya, take care of yourself.

NoRegrets said...

Well, depends on who's kissing...I suppose.

Maybe someday I'll visit PR again and finally get to meet you in person...

EsLocura said...

Heather, hook up with Susan and Nor, I'll be waiting by the shore or the airport for all of you.

Nor, you still have that open invite. anytime.

lyre said...

If it makes you feel better, my little Booboop( my new grand daughter) was born on December 9th!

 
Google Analytics Alternative