Saturday, February 09, 2008

Coqui, Coqui

We are a two car family here at the asylum. A 1998 white station wagon and a 2005 XL7. We use to be a one car family when in 2005 a snake decided it wanted to live in the station wagon. Although we did mange to get the snake out, no one wanted to ride in the station wagon for fear of retaliation from the snake and it's brethren. So we did what any crazy sane human would do, we bought a new car.

For sentimental reasons I would still take the station wagon for short scenic drives, but I always went alone because everyone feared that snakes were still in residence. I almost plunged off a cliff to my fiery death on a few occasions when I thought I felt something cold and wiggly lick my leg, (but that's a whole other story) still I felt the car should be taken out for a spin once in a while. That's just how I am, loyal.

One afternoon while washing/cleaning the station wagon we found several coqui's had made their home in side the car. We don't fear coqui's as much as snakes so we gingerly managed to catch them and set them free. (you can learn more about coqui's here) On a few other occasions another snake was found, a few more coqui and a spider, a big hairy tarantula, so now the car just sits, parked for all eternity. I draw the line at sharing a car with tarantulas. The station wagon has been given up to the reptiles and arachnids that have taken it hostage.

The car sat there for several months until recently. I decided it was just wrong to let the creepy crawlers win. I must take it back. I am woman, hear me roar, I ain't afraid of a few creepy crawlies. I washed the outside of the car and then mustered up the courage to tackle the inside, this is what I found : the coqui that once was.










Now I'm thinking we are a one car family. The station wagon will soon sport a "for sale" sign. Something about dead coqui's just gives me the creeps. Are there dead snakes in there? What about the spiders? What if some of these creatures are alive and well, feasting on the creatures weaker than them? Do you think I need to disclose any of this to the new buyer? Or should I just giggle as they drive away, knowing that at any moment they may feel something cold and wiggly licking their leg?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to come to beautiful Puerto Rico but alas, like Australia, the prospect of meeting a tarantula has cancelled that wish.

I remember wearing a coqui hat while watching the PR day parade in Harlem. Those little bones look so sad and lonely.

heather said...

mum's the word on your wagon's part in the circle of life.

unless they ask.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

dang, thats a small frog. hope u dont mind me follwing my girl jali here. do drive by my spot one day, and if this is any indication of what u write about, i will be back

EsLocura said...

Torrance, welcome to the asylum! Any friend of Jali's is welcome. Do stop back in. I'll be over to your place soon.

EsLocura said...

Jali, come visit anyway, I'll do what I can to keep the bugs away.

EsLocura said...

Heather, not another word ...shhhh

Susan said...

I think the car has an evil spirit now. Perhaps it is sucking the life force out of the animals within it. I fear for you. Do not get in the car again.


...oh and get the new owners to sign an "as is" contract. If they ask questions don't make eye contact.

fringes said...

I'm afraid to look inside the McDonald's bags that have been in my car for a month.

Amadeo said...

Out of the house and into the wagon!
Out of the house and into the wagon!

NoRegrets said...

Wow, it's like its own ecosystem or something. I wonder if they worship the steering wheel.

I don't think disclosing it is necessary as long as there are no obvious creature living there. Would suck though if while doing a test drive a tarantula came crawling up out of the heating vent. (just gave myself the shivers...)

Tera said...

Uncontrollable laughter + the willies makes Tera a confused girl!

Susan said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Es!

EsLocura said...

Susan you are so wise.

Fringes, sell the car, move on.

amadeo, damn right!

Nore, you just gave me the shivers again too.

Tera, welcome to my world.

Susan, Ditto amiga, ditto

 
Google Analytics Alternative