Thursday, February 07, 2008

Oh Brother!

I have a fabulous 15 year old brother. OK, the truth is that sometimes he is fabulous and sometimes he is the spawn of Satan. But I guess that is what 15 year old boys are suppose to be like. He is madly in love these days which means he spends all his free time on his cell phone talking or sending text messages to some girl named Jorely. He is a funny, athletic, smart young man but as a consequence of being a teenager he is at times completely self absorbed. It's all about him, how he looks, how cool he is and of course how fashionable he is. He's a clothes horse and his love of shoes almost rivals mine, almost. He is also into colognes, I swear some mornings a cloud of his latest scent enters the room before he does!

In his attempt to set him self apart from all the other spawns of Satan young teenage men showing interest in young teenage girls, he got a star... a big star shaved into the side of his head. Now I don't remember what it was like to be 15, but I think I would have probably been impressed with a boy who shaved a star on the side of his head, then again maybe not.But wait, there's more, no one told me when I signed on for the "get a free brother" thing at social services that in accepting that cute little 2 year old, every year he would continue to grow and age and I would live through it all with him. Damn. I am now reliving high school crushes, broken hearts, homework hell, sex talks and more sex talks. I find myself saying things like "yes, I suppose getting a star shaved on the side of your head is impressive to a 15 year girl". "yes, I think you look great in those new jeans and no, you can never have enough converse sneakers". "yes, always, always wear condoms, boy's who don't are stupid". "Please delete that marijuana leaf picture from your cell phone". "No, I will not talk to your parents about letting you go spend the night at some persons house who we don't know, even if you claim they are really nice people, Ted Bundy was nice too and look how that turned out". "yes, trigonometry sucks but you still need to do your homework". " No, I am not going to buy you another pair of shoes, even if you need them to match the new shirt and jeans I bought you last week". The list just goes on and on.

No one told me having a little brother would keep me awake nights, drive me to drink, make me swear more than usual, laugh hysterically, fill up with pride at his accomplishments, marvel at the human he is becoming, love him unconditionally and smile when I look at pictures of his "star".


16 comments:

NoRegrets said...

Wow, cool star. Kind of looks like a star fruit. And amazingly enough it's not just because I'm hungry.

You go through all that with younger brothers. Older brothers just annoy. :-)

fringes said...

Funny that he let you take pictures of it for your blog. Boys...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
EsLocura said...

nore, he is sweet when he wants to be : )

fringes, I think he only agreed because he hopes girls think he's cool and want his number., it's that whole "it's really about me" thing he has going.

heather said...

es, it's not all about him. it's all about if any given thing in life is gonna improve his chances at having sex.

boys never change.

just check out the quad. or crotch wizards. whatever you wanna call them. :-)

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that boy, he's just too cute.
Boys will be boys and as you know I have 2 of my own-do they ever leave home??

Susan said...

I have a little brother and he's...great. Genius, smartass and loving all in one.

Unknown said...

It's never gonna end Es, my sisters are reliving their 20's through me:) that's the way it works! It sounds like you have a great relationship though, some of his awesomeness must have come from you

Anonymous said...

My youngest son is 16 and he's the sweetest kid some moments and the most self absorbed little monster the next.

He's proud of the 7 or 8 coarse little hairs on his chin and the shadow above his lip. He gets his hair braided in "cool" styles every week - the girls seem to love his look, so as "ma", I'm just here to pay the stylist.

He has a style that looks like all the other teens to me - but is "OBVIOUSLY" (his word) unique to him (and if I were still hip, I would know this).

EsLocura said...

heather, point well taken!

Spunky, cute , yeah I keep telling myself that, as for leaving home, damn I hope so : )

Susan, you are a lucky girl for many reasons, a little brother among them.

wng, you are too kind, and I love the new picture, you are so cute.

Jali, yeah as the years pass I think we just become less hip, my brother thinks he has the "fine" makings of a mustache with the peach fuzz on his upper lip.

Anonymous said...

I like the star the design could have been something much worse and the hair will grow back.

EsLocura said...

gp, that's exactly why it was allowed. it will only last about 2 weeks.

Tera said...

Es, yeah it's a shame those little disclaimers aren't included. I tell you what, I shun to think of how my boys will be in the teenage years.

I guess we should take the bitter with the sweet...driving us to drinking is not necessarily a bad thing!

Tera said...

I think I also like swearing more than usual.

lyre said...

Brought a tear. No one loves you like a brother. I miss mine.

EsLocura said...

tera, I'm rather fond of swearing as well.

Lyre, awwwwww

 
Google Analytics Alternative