Monday, February 08, 2010

advertising

While I was in Santo Domingo my beverage choices varied, beer, rum, Dansani flavored water (toronja bliss was my favorite) and Diet coke also known as Coca Cola Light. Coca Cola light didn't really taste the same as diet coke, a little flat tasting in fact. But "light" sounds somehow better than diet.


Pollos Victorino is a chain of fast food chicken places, I spotted them in numerous locations on my travels in Santo Domingo. During the week there never seemed to be anyone buying chicken there, but on weekends they were packed. "Sabor a ti" loosely translates into "taste like you". Now I have no doubt that I taste damn fabulous but am not sure I want my chicken to taste like me because I like my chicken to taste ...well, like chicken. Also how do I know that said chicken will in fact taste like me and not you? Not that you taste terrible but do you taste like chicken? This sign sort of reminded me of "Soylent Green" hence why I never ate there.

13 comments:

LIT said...

I'm with you. I don't want chicken that tastes like me either. It would be way too salty. And since I've been dieting there would be too much loose skin---yuk!

So how do they cook this pollo?

Nina said...

That sounds like the chicken may not be chicken at all! Good call on passing it up!

I wonder why pop tastes different in different places and is called different things. It seem most likely that the same company is making all of it, yes?

NoRegrets said...

mmm... soylent greeennn...

EsLocura said...

Lit, it's fried pollo, and some people like the salty skin, or so I hear.

Nia, si, it's odd really.


Nor, it was actually a pretty good movie for it's time. si?

Susan said...

Are they sneaking while I sleep and tasting me? I'm terrified over how they know how I taste. Is there a secret soeciety of people who are experts on "susan taste"? Much to ponder...

EsLocura said...

susan, be afraid my friend, be afraid.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I thought everyone tasted like chicken, but don't know any cannibals to ask. (And I'm more than willing to take their word for it.)

Jose said...

While commenting elsewhere I saw your name and I just had to visit. Then I read your post and I was cracking up. Definitely don't want to taste like "La Galleta Verde" and all I know is that if that chicken really tasted like me you missed a good thing. lol Just kiddin' -- Oh but the name did make me think of the song "Sabor a mi" which I'm singing as I type this. Wow, the power of a post. Have a nice day.

Angela Marie said...

Just read Jose comment! LOL!
Such an interesting and colorful post!
:D

Love it!

Thank you for your input and leaving a comment. I appreciate it!

EsLocura said...

Hearts, if you meet any cannibals please do remember to ask.

Jose, oh great now I have "sobor a mi" stuck in my head for the day! welcome to the asylum.

Angela Marie, my pleasure it was time to stop hiding : )

Tera said...

Um Yuck!

Oh I hear sodas taste differently in various places because the water does. I know that the water tastes quite different here than in OH.

Pamela said...

Feliz Easter!

Kofi said...

Thanks for the Spanish lesson.

I probably would have looked at that sign, interpreted it as "to your taste" or "to your flavor" (because who would actually want their food to taste like humans?) and gone inside.

Now, I wouldn't eat there either.

 
Google Analytics Alternative