Monday, July 27, 2009

The great outdoors

I took a little vacation, I was gone 12 days. 12 Days where I did nothing but focus on me (and a little bit on my travel companion.) I spent a lot of time listening to my ipod, sleeping long hours, a deep restful sleep, I read, had a manicure and pedicure and I hiked. I went to Arizona and Utah and Nevada. Now I know it was a bit crazy to leave this tropical island paradise for that dry desert heat that numbered in the triple digits every single day I was there but I am crazy that way. Anyone who knows me knows that my greatest joy is being in nature, surrounded by sunlight and walking/hiking.

I came back feeling a little more "together" and a little more focused and a lot more content. I won't go into detail about the couple times I cried or held back tears . The times I longed for things the way they use to be, or even the overwhelming sadness. I will tell you that this trip was a bit cathartic, I purged some negativity, accepted a few things, renewed my spirit and even found time to basked in the familiar.

I hiked the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion, then I topped it off with a side trip to Vegas. I went with my cousin Jenny (she's one of my gazillion cousins). She was the perfect travel partner, smart, witty and yet fully aware of my need to "mend" from the last year, she left me plenty of alone time.

Grand Canyon, absolute splendor.

Me at Bryce, contemplating the end of a 4 hour hike.

Zion Narrows

Grand canyon, Free from worry, I should have taken a leap and clicked my heels together but it was a long way down.

Bryce Canyon

Grand Canyon, dead tree

Working on pushing that damn boulder I've been carrying around away, far away.

Jenny and I, taken by some strange guy that followed us around for a bit.

Jenny after a long day of hiking.

Another dead tree, but it was pretty.

I have many more pictures to share but blogger is giving me a headache and taking way too long to upload pictures so this is the end ... for now.

10 comments:

NoRegrets said...

Hi hi hi!!!
I love the bolder you pushing away the boulder. Too bad it wasn't in Boulder. But that is a beautiful area. I've never been to either Bryce or Zion. I should go there. Keep healing baby...
Beautiful photos.

LIT said...

Loved the photos and can't wait to see more. So glad you had a great vacation. It feels great to be in such an open and expansive place, doesn't it? It really helps put one's own problems and woes in perspective. And it gives you memories to steal away to when you start to feel constrained.

Take care, you.

EsLocura said...

Nor, yes you should go there, plenty of climbing and hiking to be done. Thanks for the love and support.

Lit, yup sometimes it takes expansive beauty to remind you to live and fill you with love and wonderment.

Anonymous said...

heard the canyon was a good place to cleanse the spirit. not vegas though. LOL

think I might do a road trip out there with my crew.

take your time.

love, cas

EsLocura said...

Cas, I cleansed the spirit then dirtied it a little in vegas but so worth a little dirt : ) You should take the crew it really is amazing, a real natrual wonder. besos

Susan said...

One thing you didn't do on vacation: Run into a West Virginian! Totally understandable, though, since finding me in Vegas would have been a) nearly impossible and b) likely dangerous. :)

Glad it went well for you.

Kofi said...

Awesome pictures, glad things are easing.

EsLocura said...

Susan, I think the two of us together would most certainly be dangerous : )

Kofi, Gracias, que bueno que tu tambien estas mejor.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

More awesome photos here. You've inspired me to hit the road, Eslocura. And I'm happy to know what you look like finally. So nice to "meet" you!

EsLocura said...

Hearts, road trips can be so uplifting, forces you to feel free even if you don't want to : )

 
Google Analytics Alternative