Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Asi esta la cosa

Just some rambling about stuff at the asylum.

  • Weather: after all that rain, 8 towns were declared disaster areas, FEMA is on the way. Now the sun is shining and it's been beautiful outside except for the humidity which was 71% today. The night sky has been a brilliant canopy of stars. We are back to tropical paradise.
  • El gato: my cat was sick on Saturday, throwing up and very sluggish. I was scared. I love my gato and I couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to him. He is all better and so am I.
  • Eyes: a couple months ago as I was planning a little get away vacation to the west, my vision became very blurry. My eyes were itchy and red and I felt like giant boulders had taken residence in my eyelids. I had a severe bacterial infection that required, eye drops, oral antibiotics and all sorts of ointments. As if that wasn't bad enough, the bacteria invaded a mole (on my eyelid) and caused it to grow to about the size of a giant redwood, only not as majestic. End result ... surgery, stitches, another round of all sorts of antibiotics. My vision has sucked for the past 2 months, but it's better now and so am I. (Stitches come out Thursday.)
  • Google reader: sweet cracker sandwich, I could not get the bitch to load all my feeds and allow me my daily fix of all your blogs, as well as my various other interests for 3 days! Got it all figured out, no thanks to Google. Just has I was having withdrawal symptoms, you are all back and life is good. and so am I.
  • Visitors: My niece Melissa was here for a week. She is beautiful and funny and loving and as crazy as the rest of us at the asylum. She was a great distraction from my depressive self. Love ya Melissa and glad you were here. Thanks so very much for the "flip". Expect to see some videos at the asylum as soon as I take some and can figure out how to add them. (yeah, I know you hate this picture, right out of the shower, blah blah, but you gotta love that t shirt)
  • Grief: it has it's ups and downs. Some days I feel fine, some days I don't. I find I have a short fuse these days. But I am better, it does get better. I think, maybe.
  • Books: I need some new stuff to read. Any suggestions? What about books for my ipod? My vision isn't clear enough to enjoy reading right now but I can listen. And I have a $50 itunes gift card just itching to be be spent.
  • ipod: I got a new ipod this week and it is sweet. We now have 7 ipods in this household, overkill? ... no fucking way.
  • Sadness: overwhelming on any given day for a whole cacophony of reasons. No longer feeling close among them.
  • Gratitude: For every single one of you sweet huckleberries, My Familia, my comadres, slowing finding the courage to sew up some loose ends, spreading my wings, learning to say goodbye.

11 comments:

LIT said...

Sooo glad to hear from you; and glad to know you didn't float or blow away. Your physical problems seem to be complicating your emotional recovery from your loss, and probably vice versa. (I'm sure you can sort out what I'm saying.)

Try to find any of the Anne Tyler books; they are so human, and you'll love the characters.

Be well, Darlin'.

EsLocura said...

Lit, thanks for the love and the book suggestion.

NoRegrets said...

Hi Es! I'm so glad you are still alive. Though weepy even when you don't mean to be (yuck, what an eye).

I listened to The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time while driving from Wisconsin once, and it's great to listen to. I just read Cold Mountain, and it's so poetic. I can't even imagine listening to it on tape - I'd want to stop and replay it- but you could maybe handle it.

I can offer more suggestions but I'll stop with those two.

Just as long as FEMA doesn't need to come to you as a person for being washed away, that's a good thing.

Kofi said...

Hoping FEMA does right by your island.

I'm reading Freud right now, so while I'm deep into psychosomatic mumbo-jumbo and learning a little bit about ups and downs and how people interpret them -- you might want something lighter. Hoping you find something that gives you good dreams.

Susan said...

I'm glad your eye is better.

Thinking of you on my side of the blue.

EsLocura said...

Nor, I read both of those a while back, so send some more suggestions. Good luck on the you know what coming up. besos

Kofi, Freud is among my favs but yeah now isn't the time, read anything a little lighter lately?

Susan, stitches came out today, hoping vision clears a little more, waiting for you on the side of the blue : )

NoRegrets said...

Doris Lessing - African Stories? Though I doubt that's on tape.

I'm not up with modern fiction - not in a book club or anything, so what I buy is from thrift stores. Sometimes friends recommend stuff. I'll see what I can do. A friend just lent me Ian McEwan's Enduring Love and said it's great. Haven't read it yet.

Oh, Stones from the River. Excellent. But also old.

and gracias... course, I'm kinda whipping myself in the back or wearing a burlap robe or whatever that reference is from the Bible.

LIT said...

Nor, "sack cloth" perhaps?

Tera said...

I don't know which made my stomach turn the biggest cartwheel this morning...el gato o el ojo!

NoRegrets said...

The Coffee Trader

NoRegrets said...

Nonfiction: Surviving the Extremes

 
Google Analytics Alternative