Saturday, December 15, 2007

Arbolito

Bah humbug. I am not too fond of the Christmas holiday season. I am convinced it has lost all it's magic and true meaning but that's a whole other kettle of fish. As a child it was a different story. Christmas was magical and full of love and family. Gifts were never a big deal. We were poor so gifts were very simple and cheap and mostly home made. It was a good year when under the tree on Christmas morning I found candy or something to read. Growing up the holiday was all about the traditions, the culture, family and the Christmas tree. Oh, our Christmas tree, now there was a sight to be hold. Today the only thing that still excites me about this bah humbug holiday is the Christmas tree. I love looking at Christmas trees, and I've always loved having one. The twinkle of the lights, the ornaments, the always personal tree topper. I love Christmas trees.

Growing up in Brooklyn, getting the tree was the highlight of my year. We almost never got a tree before Christmas eve. They were much cheaper if you waited until the very last minute to buy one. Of course this also meant that what was left in the tree lot was a sad version of a "Charlie Brown tree". Getting a tree was a family affair, we always walked together to the same tree lot on Linden Boulevard. We spent so much time lingering among the little lifeless skinny trees left that by the time we decided we were all shivering. Should we get that scrawny little one or this scrawny little one? The absolute cheapest tree they had, that's the one we got. It was always the ugliest, scrawniest, most pathetic tree on the lot. But to me, it was beautiful and full of magic. We would carry our tree all the way home, singing Christmas carol's all the way.

Where to put the tree once we got it home was never an issue, anywhere in the living that was close to a plug. We didn't need to make room for it as there wasn't anything in the living except a couple kitchen chairs, a black and white TV and a stereo. That stereo was our prize possession. Music has always played in my life. My parents would play typical Puerto Rican music, aguinaldos (folk type carols), plenas (also folkloric music influenced by African and Spanish music), some Ramito, Chuito de Bayamon, and mixed in was a little "white christmas", "We three Kings"and "Jingle bells".

Our decorations were handmade, mostly stuff we had made in school, a construction paper multi-colored chain and sometimes some angel hair. Angel hair made you itch if you touched it for too long but when illuminated by the twinkling lights, it was mesmerizing. The tree topper was an angel my mom had bought, it had a plastic head, with blond hair, and mesh wings, and lights in it's little plastic hands and it cost $1.00. I still have that angel, the lights don't work, it's blond hair is mostly missing, and the mesh has holes, but I still have it.

Our tree was lit every single night and all day long on weekends. We ate dinner sitting near it, in fact if I was home I could always be found near it. We kept it until January 8th. (January 6th was 3 kings day and the 7th my birthday) By January 8th, it was lopsided and had little to no needles. It was a sad day when we said goodbye to it.

As the pretend adult I now am, Christmas trees still excite me. My Christmas tree is a work of art. It is big and tall, expensive and fake. ( I live in the tropics my little huckleberries, a real tree would be dead in minutes.) Every single light and ornament placed in just the perfect spot. Almost every ornament has a reason or meaning for being part of my tree. I spend hours making it look perfect. (of course "perfect" is a relative term). The top still holds an angel, a pretty porcelain one, with delicate features. My childhood angel now retired due to it's fragile condition.

Every time I walk by a Christmas tree, every time I stop to look at one, I am reminded of my family. I can hear us singing, and laughing. I remember that "Charlie Brown tree" of my childhood and marvel at the magic it brought to my house every single Christmas. The magic tree that once it came into our home wasn't scrawny and sad but tall and full and beautiful. The magic tree that shared our love and was an honored guest. I am EsLocura and I love Christmas trees. (I wonder if there's a help group for that).

13 comments:

Em said...

I love the story of your tree when you were growing up. It is clear that your joy did not come from having the biggest or the best...but from the fact that it was YOUR tree and your family was there around it.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I love this piece so much, maybe even as much as you love Christmas trees.

Your family had the best Christmases of all because they were about love and togetherness, not expensive presents and competitiveness. And I'm so happy that you still have your family's angel because she is the repository of so many warm childhood Christmases.

EsLocura said...

em, yes sir, it was a Christmas all about us and the tree. lovely it was.

Heart, thank you. wouldn't it be grand if we went back to celebrating the holiday with less fan fair and more love?

heather said...

the best trees of my childhood were decorated with popcorn strings and constuction paper ornaments. we discovered the year i was 14 or 15 that cranberry strings are nice for the first day or so but can attract fruit flys after that. no more cranberry strings indoors after that. we still made them, but for outdoor bushes. a multitasking gift. something for the birds to eat and entertainment through the window for the cats. :-)

EsLocura said...

heather, we use to make popcorn strings too. that was the best since you got to eat and string.

NoRegrets said...

Very nice.

You don't need no stinkin support group - loving Christmas trees is a good thing.

Susan said...

I'm not even putting up a Christmas tree. You need to love them enough to support my lack of love.

Unknown said...

Wow...different lives, but shared experiences... It seems no matter how far we come from our childhood, it's always a short jarring thought away. Merry x-mas!

Unknown said...

You don't need a help group for that, you need to be preaching. We always got the biggest, fullest tree we could fit (or sometimes that we couldn't fit) in/on our car. My mom and I would fuss over it for hours and hours. Is it the tree I miss or the time we all spent working on something together and then enjoying what we all did together? I don't know, but I miss it.

Amadeo said...

Six words:

Festivus for the Rest of Us.

EsLocura said...

Nore, you are too sweet.

Susan, am going to do my part for the two of us.

Wng, sometimes memories are sweet things. then again sometimes they aren't so sweet.

Amadeo, festivus indeed. Btw "Feliz Compleanos"

Anonymous said...

I love your Christmas story! So sweet.

The house always feels so empty when the tree goes down. Our plan is always Jan 2, but laziness waits until about a week later when the dry tree leaves a stream of needles on it's path to the garbage area to be recycled. I'm the one that cleans up the trail and I'm usually delighted to find a pine needle somewhere a couple of months later.

Tera said...

You all had the wonderfullest Christmases EVER! Family is the bestest thing at Christmas :-D

 
Google Analytics Alternative