Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Asylum

Mental illness is defined as: 1) Any disease of the mind, the psychological state of someone who has emotional or behavioral problems serious enough to require psychiatric intervention. 2) Any of various psychiatric disorders or diseases, usually characterized by impairment of mood, thought or behavior.

Statistics claim that roughly 1 in every 4 adults each year suffers from some form of mental illness. Anxiety and depression being the most common. Mental illnesses are biological based brain disorders and can strike any individual regardless of age, gender, religion, nationality or income.

Among the many things that make me fabulous (trust me the list of things that make me fabulous is endless), is my vast knowledge of mental illness and it's treatment. In my little bag of tricks I hold many bits and pieces of information. I know about the latest treatment modalities, newest medications, current mental health fads and all sorts of verbiage related to being/feeling crazy, out of sorts, not right, depressed and so on ... you can fill in any other labels here.

I came about this wealth of knowledge through two routes, formal education, yes my little huckleberries back when I had a career it was in the mental health field, and through personal experience. My family, those near and far come with many "mental issues". For some reason albeit whatever gods exist or perhaps it was just the way of the universe, I am a designated therapist to those I love and to those I know and to those that just happen to find me. My profound loyalty to family has made it impossible to ever turn a deaf ear to those in mental pain regardless of the cost to me both financially and personally. My strong belief in the strength and possibility of healing the mind, leading to a happy life, keeps me researching treatments and, medications. Constantly studying human behavior and it's effects on the mind.

In recent months I have been coping with the mental illness of a couple people near and dear to me. In fact, my emotional bond to these 2 is stronger than super glue. It has been difficult to see their pain, to witness bits of self destruction, to worry about side effects to new medication, to get completely encircled by depression, suicide, aggression and to be limited by their cognitive disabilities.

So why this post, I don't really know, as I do feel like I am just babbling. If I had a point (and I am not sure that I do) It is that sometimes given all the right tools, sometimes vast amounts of knowledge can't always help those you love. That sometimes wanting to save someone can cost you more than you were willing to pay. But you pay the price because you refuse to give up, because you can't lose faith that with time somehow, somewhere answers will appear and the mental anguish of those you love will ease it's self into a calmness that will allow them to live a happier life.

So my little huckleberries if you find yourself feeling a tad "crazy", if you are experiencing extreme bouts of melancholy, if you feel suicidal, alone, in despair, know that you are not alone. Know that millions of people all over the world are feeling the same thing right now, even as you read this. Know that there is hope, there is help. Know that your strongest asset is your ability to heal and live a better, happier life. Know that joy is around the corner, even if you can't see it right now. Know that somewhere on a tropical island someone wishes you well, wishes you a heart full of hope, a good nights sleep and above all ... a little mental health.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

amen para ti

.. me voy que tengo churra

Anonymous said...

I'm your huckleberry.

Lovely post.

EsLocura said...

Manny, get out quick while the going is good.

Doc, thank you, somehow I knew you would be.

Creative-Type Dad said...

1 out of 4?

Wow. I think I work of most of them.

Kofi said...

Definitely needed the breath of fresh air this blog provided. Thanks.

EsLocura said...

dad, I hope that's true or perhaps you are a little paranoid, which brings us back to mental health.

EsLocura said...

Kofi, always here to lend a hand to a friend.

Anonymous said...

this is for doc, love that movie Tombstone and that line, for you cuz what can I say some of us need a lil more help than others.

EsLocura said...

tlo, and thankfully primo there is help to be had.

heather said...

i don't know who posted as doc holiday but i love it!

profound post there es, thank you. i kinda wish j would read that.

EsLocura said...

Heather, thank you, Doc is a funny guy, I love that movie.

Unknown said...

Nena! Que regero!

Tera said...

Eslocura, this is exactly the breath of fresh air I needed this Monday morning...this post is amazing!

Uh...since I didn't get mangoes, can I have free therapy?

Amadeo said...

In my line of work you realize that alot more people than advertised have a mental illness. I also can't resist saying: You're a daisy if you do.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog!!! And your picture makes me smile : )
I suffered from severe anxiety during my sons illness and subsequent death.
It was depressing before...to have random anxiety attacks at the most inopportune times....
But now I pride myself on being nuts and intend to use my psychiatric history as a defense during trial : )

One flew east, one flew west
One flew over the cuckoos nest.

Caspar608
(from Cocoa Ricans page)

EsLocura said...

Cocoa, nene, lo dices y no lo sabes!

Tera, damn I knew I should have sent you mangos!

amadeo, even daisy's need a little fertilizer once in a while.

Caspar, welcome to the asylum, and keep up the positive thinking, nothing like taking a little mental illness and turning it into good. Hope you visit again soon.

Nina said...

Man I wish I would have found you a couple of years ago...but I will second the motion that "there is hope, there is help". But why does that have to be so difficult to realize when you're at the bottom of the barrell?

EsLocura said...

nina, because if you realize it sooner you, you wouldn't be at the bottom and appreciate the top. I think? maybe? perhaps?

mist1 said...

Sometimes, I practice my mental illness. I like to make sure that I am all current and up to date on recent developments and stuff. My shrink manages to stay one step ahead.

I will have to try harder.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Once I realized that I was not mentally ill, as I suspected, but merely eccentric, it opened up a whole world of mental illness in others.

It is truly heartbreaking and frustrating to deal with in a loved one. I think that those of us who can function have a duty to help those who cannot.

Your words ring so true. I considered suicide as a teen, but I always knew that the sky would be blue and shining again and I didn't want to miss it. Sometimes the line between living and ending it is so very thin.

EsLocura said...

mist, practice makes perfect.

heart, yes indeed that very fine line between sanity and insanity, I think we have all been there at some point.

 
Google Analytics Alternative